special long line clips

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Bob Johnson, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

anyone ever find a source for thin wire LONG, long line clips?

the standard "small dia" wire for the longest clips is usually .120" dia.... and even in a 6" long clip, its way more force than needed for decoys!....im wondering if anyone has ever found the long clips in the wire dia that you see on some 3" long clips....easy to squeeze...... but long enough to use with heavy gloves.

I just bought 50, 5" long clips and really regret it now. I guess I forgot about how long I really needed them..... as duck hunters we don't need clips strong enough to hold an 800 lb marlin for 20 miles! we are only attaching 2 or 3 lb decoys that are floating!.......

2. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

One of the main longline fishery suppliers in the country is here, I go in there pretty often and have never seen the longer snaps in light wire. They have the real small clips in light wire but they're a pain to deal with.

I'm not sure what ones you have but the big snaps come in two different sizes of wire. I'll try to figure out the diameter of the two and post on here.

3. Bob Johnson

I know the standard sizes. It .120" dia and .148" dia...ive actually read some that were .158". the .120" versions are still way stronger than needed... and when you have a glove and are only squeezing on the bottom half of the snap some guys have trouble opening the dammm snap.... and so it ends up being me putting EVERY decoy on.... Id like to mostly control the boat and have the guys run the long line... same goes for putting the decoys away..i tell them to wrap the line around the keel and attach the snap to the big loop formed when I tied the dropper to the decoy...that keeps everything neat in the decoy bag.....but they cant seem to do it...thick wire , big gloves, short snaps, bitter cold weather.....sissys...what ever...... life would be easier with a .091 or .068 dia wire on a 6" long snap.......way more strength than needed for a decoy!

4. duckbutler

duckbutler Senior Refuge Member

your million $ idea - spec em in china - and advertise here!

5. Bob Johnson

hell Id just buy a $5000 four slide machine and run them here in my basement.....build the dies myself.......id make them 7" long and .070" wire..... guys who use them long line clips now would love em....

6. cjr

cjr Refuge Member

I'd buy those! Many years ago I purchased large clips made of thin wire that were very easy on and off with gloved hands. They were galvanized and had no swivel. They're pretty rusty now but a couple dozen are still in service and are much easier to use than any I have bought since.

7. Bob Johnson

I think they call them Branch Snaps.... do they actually have a full circle of wire on the end?.... most long line snaps just have a pinch point for a fulcrum

8. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

Bob if you get this up and running I am sure I would be good for 4-5 DZ for sure

Mayes

9. Tailfisher17t

Tailfisher17t Senior Refuge Member

I'll buy a few doz to.

10. cjr

cjr Refuge Member

Yes, exactly. Full circle of wire at the non-clip end.