Speck flag?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by skins9, Aug 17, 2008.

1. skins9

skins9 Senior Refuge Member

Does anyone here use a flag when huting specks? If so what colored I was thinking that the black and white Canadian goose flag should work for Specs, Honkers, and Snows possibly if needed would this work or no?

Thanks for any advice...hopefully i will get some advice before I head to Sportsmans wharehouse tommorrow :yes

2. JEDJR

JEDJR Elite Refuge Member

I have used one at times when running traffic birds hunting in rice to attract the attention of specks in the distance. As they turn and approach I did not pick it up again. You can get away with a lot more movement in a snowgoose spread.
    They work, and a good way to add some movement on calm days.
    Good luck with it.

3. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

From my experience, specks do not react to a flag as well as Canadas. Most of the specks we shoot are mixed in with little Canadas and are taken over a mixed spread. I'd rather concentrate on calling to a speck than flagging him. If I had to choose between a call or a flag to hunt Canadas, I would choose a flag...if given the same choice when hunting specks, I would choose a call.

4. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

I haven't used a Flag on spec yet but I'm going to try it next year. I'm going to try the flag by avery that looks honkers back. That and/or a snow flag we run snow dekes in our spread. Nocalhonker

5. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

We use em and they work OK:D

6. #1stunner

#1stunner Elite Refuge Member

started using one last year to traffic birds that wanted to go other places, I used a standard black honker flag :tu