Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Speck hunting

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Rudder, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

OK here's a out of stater couple of questions. I look at the Idaho site enough to understand the strife between guiding and dislike of it by non-guides (everybody else). If you can put that topic aside for a minute I would like to know about the speck season in February.
    First, why can you shoot so many? Are they depredating crops in CA and OR?
    Second, is it worth spending the money to come out there for a hunt? Do you shoot them consistently or is it hit or miss? Any reputable outfits or individuals that take hunters?
    I know these are touchy subjects but I'm just an east coast hunter who lives where there are not any Specks!
    Thanks

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Idaho has widely varying geographies. I am up in the Panhandle and in 16 years up here we have had one flock of specks fly into our spread. Haven't seen or heard any others, so that one flock was a shock. Now, Southern Idaho sees birds coming down a different route, but in 16 years on the Idaho forum I've not seen any tailgate pics of those guys getting into Specks. So unless the flyway has changed I wouldn't look at Idaho as a White Fronted mecca.

3. Duck-Slayer

Duck-Slayer Elite Refuge Member

It's pretty hit or miss, most show up after the season close's on Feb. 21st I believe.... most are over along the OR border, had a friend hunt up here with one of these outfitters in the area and in 3 days they only shot about 12 specks, and 11 came on one morning hunt, so in my opinion, OR is way better for early speck season in my opinion.... I would suggest Canada....
    Matt

4. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the responses. I will broaden my search. The 10 birds a day thing just caught my attention. I do go to Saskatchewan every year and shoot some specks. I was looking to do something besides snows in Feb. after duck season closes.

5. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Come to California if you want a good speck hunt, the ten bird limit has caused it to be a little more challenging to limit out, but it can be done. We have two late season hunts, one in February and one in March. Both are 5 day hunts, and snows are open at the same time. There are some great guides out here too.