speeding up stump rot

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by KAHunter, Mar 6, 2018.

1. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

Did some tree cutting deep in a timber spot near my farm. It is pretty tight and we have a fair amount of work still to do. Stays flooded good portion of the year if not all year I think, cant be certain as its a new area for me. Long story short, I have alot of stumps and a few large trunks left in there. I know its going to take some time but any tips of speeding up the decay process?? I have read online to drill holes and put in high N fertilizer or epsom salts or even some of the stump rot products. Anyone had any success one way or another?? I know its gonna be a few years before this is a real open spot and I am willing to wait, but want to speed it up as much as possible.

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Mushroom spore plugs. The plugs are inoculated with spores. Drill a hole, tap in the plug and mushrooms begin to grow and eat the stump. I LOVE ****akes!

shi tak ies

3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Tordon RTU, you must use it shortly after the tree is cut. Apply it to the outer ring of the stump, it will prevent regrowth and eventually rot the stump. It can be purchased at most any Farm Supplier and does not require a restricted use permit. I don’t pick up my chain saw without taking this along. The RTU stands for Ready To Use.

4. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Man I use th hell out of tordon (4 qts this year so far) but I don’t think it speeds up the rotting, at least not hedge stumps. I’ve got some in th food plot cut and treated in 2014 that are still rock hard. I want to burn em out but we are way to dry for me to light it and walk away.

5. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I would figure that a herbicide would kill the growth in the stump but also kill mushrooms etc that would consume the stump.

You might try pouring salt over it to get the deer to lick and chew it.

6. KAHunter

Appreciate the replies. We cut down 20 or so trees and plan on doing more. there r a fair amount of stumps in there. I am gonna try the nitrogen in drilled holes unless I hear of a better option. Hopefully it will speed up the process

7. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

If I read your post correctly the cut stumps stay flooded/covered most of the year? If that is the case, you will have a very hard time speeding up the decay.

Broadly speaking, wood decay requires warmth, moisture, and oxygen to create a favorable environment for the microorganisms doing the decaying. Keeping the area underwater dramatically reduces the oxygen levels, even though you have plenty of moisture and warmth.
    That same water coverage will wash away just about any accelerant that you put in/on the stump.

Randy likes this.
  8. KAHunter

stumps are above the water. areas does stay flooded for most of the year I think. I would imagine it would dry out in summer some but hard to tell. Havent been in there in summer

9. twall

twall Senior Refuge Member

Nitrogen will help speed decay. Wood has a pretty low C:N ratio. Drilling holes will help. Covering with soil will help. If you use the right mushroom spawn you may get something good to eat too!

Tom

10. duckhawk-55

duckhawk-55 Sponsor Sponsor

Try a Cat 690.. Be done with stumps in a few days !!!