Spikerush, best way to kill?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Teamjefe, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Teamjefe

Teamjefe Refuge Member

I have heard that spikerush is a pain to get rid of. I have means to spray and disc if need be. Is this the best approach to clearing spikerush out?

2. boatdriver

boatdriver Refuge Member

Spikerush as in Eleocharis parvula? How tall is your spikerush? Just looking for some characterisitcs to try and better help you.... There are several different species that fall under this category.

3. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

I deal with Spikerush in Kansas and its a pain in the arse. My experience has been to mow, wait 1-2 weeks and then spray new growth with 1+% glyphosate, then disc. This beats it back for 2-3 seasons and reload to do it all over again.

4. boatdriver

boatdriver Refuge Member

Also, another way to control or eliminate spikerush is to hold a good amount of water over the root systems for a period of time. It will begin to thin, then eventually die off. But, yes, spraying new growth with a glyphosphate with a surfactant will kill just about anything.

5. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

If you could get a big flock of snow geese in there, they will pull it up looking for tubers and then the duck will flock in to clean up.

The problem with spikerush is getting too much of it to the point it chocks out open water. It needs to be sprayed with 2% glyphosate while it's still growing and then you can burn or mow it. The trick is catching it dry enough to do that, but not waiting until the next rain.

6. Teamjefe

Teamjefe Refuge Member

Thanks!! I don't know which variety of spike rush it is. I don't have a picture with me and won't be back at the ranch till Friday. I will plan on hitting it with 2% gly this growing season