Spinners on the agenda

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Sweatliner, Jun 11, 2012.

1. davkrat

davkrat Elite Refuge Member

Between the turntables with the Vodka and the mixe
    Mark how dare you insult brown water bonefish like that?

Calikev, I'd rather read about daughters shooting their first "anything" too :tu

2. yolo chris

yolo chris Elite Refuge Member

Friends don't let friends target target green..

Stick with little round and brown

3. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

Hmm. And to think I've been approaching this all these years the wrong way. Be weak in calling (your words, not mine), don't consider competitive calling a viable way to improve operational skills (your words, not impressed, not mine), find a mallard area (your words, not mine and a blind of course, unless a club invite), shoot wal mart special shells (your words, not mine) and chances are way better than even that a bunch of stupid mallards will fall in my lap easier than a pair of pins.

Correct Mark, it is childish and boring. Believe me, guys that chase these stupid park ducks year round and are successful aren't even touching this thread because frankly no one thinks its worth trying to convince you of anything. Neither do I. Just thought I'd give my friend a little back up.

You must drink that beer that has XX on the label. You certainly are, the most interesting duck hunter on the forum.

4. dsilsby

dsilsby Elite Refuge Member

If you really think you are great hunter
    Try taking a limit of rudies from a blind.

5. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I didn't say mallards were the hardest, just responded to you Mark saying they are easy. Easy to me means you can get them most of the time with little effort. Neither numbers or experience tells me that is true. Any bird can be easy at times and mallards are numerous so it doesn't take magic like you generalize. It just takes work and skill to be consistent. You could put several species into that category.

So you can have your opinion and tell the world but you are wrong. I'm just letting you dig the hole deeper and deeper. So when you are ready to prove they are easy by hunting mallard areas all next season and killing easy limits all the time, please do share. I'm dying to learn from the self proclaimed mallard tamer!

6. lugnut

lugnut Elite Refuge Member

This ^

7. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

Mallards are the most sought after duck to me. Mallards (and Sprig) legs don't touch at the top, all others might.

As far as Mallards, try working a lone G.H. or a small flock for twenty minutes and nine passes until you convince them all is safe then pull the trigger. The total experiance of the hunt is multiplied by 10-100, just look into your dogs eyes. Don't get me wrong, I have been seen shooting at a flock of Widgeon that were just buzzing the decoys, or a at a pair of Mallards that were wore out and wanted a place to rest. I might be olod school but I'm tired of packing my old "goal post" blade around and not using it.

Here's a spinner related comment. Are our retreivers changing the way they hunt over duck decoys when spinning blades are involved ? My CLF will sit on her plastic lawn furniture end table all day long looking for ducks, I don't want her to be exposed to a cluster of spinning wins.

AJ, I'm still waiting to see that 30 pack of "COORS LIGHTS" with expanded spinning wings (Good Call Yolo Chris) I would like a "BUDWIESER" 36 pack too :cool:.

8. davkrat

davkrat Elite Refuge Member

Between the turntables with the Vodka and the mixe
    Hot cupping action doesn't discriminate.

Just finished pulling 800 square feet of flooring, installed 500' of new (about half done), moved about 3 tons of oak furniture from one wall to the other and back again about a dozen times. Showered up and poured myself 3 fingers of Jack. Time to pour some gas on this fire :pra

9. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

I reckon there ain't a piece of this horse left thicker than a #3 shot for all the beat'n its taken.......carry on...:l

10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I shot a few of them as a kid. My grandfather (who I hunted with almost every weekend of the duck season) loved shooting them, and as a kid so did I. We killed our share of them, that is for sure, and it sure was fun to watch them tumble when you connected.

One of my fondest memories is waiting for a blind to open in the parking lot, and the ruddies started flying. We decided to kill a couple, and a couple turned into 14.:D Only time I ever killed a duck from the parking lot, sitting on the back bumper of the car.

They used to come over the blinds so low, I was convinced we could kill them with tennis rackets. Now, I notice that even the ruddies have become blind shy and decoy shy.:nutz