Split Patternmaster Code Black Choke Tube

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Okie Fowler, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Okie Fowler

Okie Fowler Senior Refuge Member

I bought a Patternmaster Code Black duck choke tube and had been using it the last two weeks...maybe two boxes of shells down the tube (all #2 or #3 3.5" steel shells). Well, yesterday, I disassembled my gun to clean it and found a split that runs the length of the tube. The split stops right at the stud rings. Has anyone experienced this, or know of anyone who has?

Not sure what caused this, but the tube is going back to Cabela's, and am not sure I want another Code Black tube.

I use/have used Rhino, Pure Gold, and Carlson's and have never had anything like this happen.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Best bet is to get your money back and move on to something else, some people have good luck with them and some don't. To many failures, cracking and problems over the years with PM chokes to list or speak about.

3. Okie Fowler

Here's a pic of the split in the choke tube. I took it back to Cabela's and exchanged it. I will give Patternmaster another chance (probably not the wisest decision, but i really like how this tube patterns). IMG_1119.JPG

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

scary. Get rid of it before a catastrophic failure occurs. I would be hesitant to use the same choke again. Is it 17-4 steel?

5. Okie Fowler

Yes, according to the packaging, the choke is made from aircraft quality 17-4 stainless steel.

I've already used the replacement choke and it is holding up fine. Have put less than a box shells thru it, however.

6. PantherMartin

PantherMartin Elite Refuge Member

What 10GAGENUT said. I tested them back in the 90's in a Wingmaster. Had two, returned both. Thread failure. Had to torque the second one out of the barrel with a steel rod through the holes after 10 rounds. Luckily, it didn't damage the barrel threads.

Some people use them and have good luck. Customer Service was excellent though. A+.

7. Long Shot

Long Shot Senior Refuge Member

Had a Patternmaster in an M1 Benelli (Mobil Choke) swelled after a very few rounds. Talked to company and they replaced it never have & don't intend to use the new one. Was told it was the shells (Kent) & shot size (BB's) that caused it to swell.

8. Okie Fowler

That's a little confusing since Patternmaster claims that BB can be shot thru the choke tube, at least the Code Black choke tube anyway.

Used the choke tube again today, no problems. I hope it holds together because I really like the pattern it produces...whacks the ducks hard.

9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I sound like a broken record about the Terror Tubes however I've had mine for 15 seasons so far and never had an issue one with any of them.

Sunklands and JP like this.
  10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Have you ever seen the pattern it produces??

10GAGENUT and Squaller like this.