Split Patternmaster Code Black Choke Tube

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Okie Fowler, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Okie Fowler

Okie Fowler Senior Refuge Member

Not on a pattern board, which I have in my backyard. Just know it's tight and will puff a bird inside 25 yards (which happened today...broke both wings, both legs, and made hamburger out of both breasts).

Using this choke tube allows me to set the decoys a little further out from the blind to accommodate the leery ducks, and still make a clean kill.

2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Same here.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Did the abuse test for Jeff with the 10 gauge tubes, I know I've told this story already but I like repeating myself :rolleyes:
    I shot 200 rounds of 1 13/4 oz F steel through the .705 Terror which is the tightest 10 gauge tube they made, I miked the tube before and after and there was no difference in the measurements or damage to the tube. If that's not abuse I don't know what is.

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I am not trying to be argumentative or obstinate here… But my light modified choke “puffs” birds within 25 yards…

Tight is not always better (especially at close ranges or decoying birds). The further the shooting, the tighter I want the pattern. If you want tight, screw in good full choke or tight Terror choke.

I am looking for good pattern distribution at the ranges I am shooting for any given choke I use. In the past, I have tried some “gimmick” chokes (not a Patternmaster) which produced, tight but “clumpy” patterns with the shells I was using.

But… Patternmasters have a good reputation with many waterfowlers… And although patterning (on paper) is probably the best means of any to objectively determine pattern density and distribution, there is also some degree of importance to “in-field observation” of the success or failures of given choke/shell combinations.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  5. Okie Fowler

The word "puff" means something different to me than you, it seems. When I used to shoot clay targets, puff meant destroy, crush, turn to powder. So I guess I should have used those words instead (thought it was clear in describing the condition of the duck I hit, however). I don't particularly like the damage this choke causes to the ducks 25 yards and under, but there are trade-offs with everything.

I agree totally, and that's why I didn't need to use the pattern board. I'm making cleaner kills (belly up) with this choke tube at distances (40+ yards) not attainable with my light modified choke tubes. This choke tube has definitely decreased the need for a follow-up shot. Best performing longer range choke tube I have personally used.

6. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

My boy "puffs" them at 25 yards with his 20 gauge and #3's. Factory modified barrel from and old savage/Stevens single shot.

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

With my LM, anything inside 20 yards is hamburger... Anything closer than 25 yards (and centered) has more pellet holes than I would like, as far as putting them on the table to eat.

Most of my shooting is from 30 to 40 yards, and the light modified does a great job with these distances. If I were shooting longer, I would look for a longer range choke just as you have (if I could hit them at those ranges). If I were shooting closer ranges, I would likely open up my chokes a bit.

8. Okie Fowler

Yeah, I would imagine since a modified choke for steel is pretty tight. If I remember right, the Code Black duck with 3.5" shells patterns like shooting with a modified choke. So I can see us having similar results.

When I know my shots won't excede 35 yards, I use an IC choke tube (Pure Gold choke tube). Typically, I use this tube when I'm hunting in the timber. When I hunt in open water, I did use a LM choke tube (Carlson's sporting clays tube). I had similar results as you at close range (rarely get shots under 25 yards, though). But at 35-40 yards, the pattern out of my LM choke tube starts to open up too much and I had more cripples than I cared to see. Sometimes it took a couple of water shots to put them down...unacceptable. I should have searched for a better choke tube to fit my hunting needs long ago.

Since my nephew has used the Pattenmaster tube for many years with great results, I thought I would give it a try. Should have made the change years ago. Aside from destroying ducks at close range, the tube does everything I need it to do to fit my needs. Now if I happen to cripple a bird, I can water swat it at 40 plus yards and kill it with one shot.

Does someone manufacture a LM choke tube that performs like this Pattermaster Code Black duck? Maybe? I just didn't want to go to the expense of buying and testing different ones. Because my nephew shoots the same gun I do (Benelli SBE II), I already knew how the Patternmaster would perform. I know my LM Rhino choke tubes come close, but the ones I have only fit my O/U shotguns (Invector plus chokes).

I appreciate everyone posting up their experiences with the different chokes they use and how they perform at different distances. Valuable information that can save someone a ton of money and time.

By the way, for future reference, what's the difference between the Wad Wizard and Terror choke tubes?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  9. 10GAGENUT

Wad Wizard is a stud type choke like the Patternmaster, the studs inside the tube are supposed to grab the wad and slow it down while the shot charge is allowed to exit the barrel. It's supposed to work but they do have limitations, they don't recommend very fast loads or large steel shot with stud type chokes and they don't work with all wad types. RSI and Gualandi LBC wads will tumble with stud chokes, found that out the hard way shooting RSI wads in my Gold 10 with a Patternmaster. Kind of interesting and scary watching half of your shot charge still in the wad slam into a pattern board sideways.
    The Terror Tubes are more of a heavy well designed conventional choke but designed for shooting steel, they work very well with all shot types, load speeds and wads.
    If your interested here's the patent drawing for Patternmaster, it explains in detail how they work.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US5452535A/en

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  10. 10GAGENUT

Just for reference, this is what I was referring to with the F steel tests, I have posted this up numerous times but it shows what the Terror Tubes are capable of, I tried 9 other tubes and none of them would pattern F steel like this.
    50 yards 10 gauge 1 3/4 oz F steel .705 Terror Tube.
    003.JPG