Sportsman's Warehouse

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by bigreid, Feb 5, 2004.

1. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

Just heard back for Sportsman's Warehouse and the should be opening by Feb 10 and will have their grand opening Feb. 28. I am looking forward to seeing if they will bring us some good duck stuff.
    My only worry that if they do it will get even more people in the marsh! I saw more people out this year than ever. First time I have ever had guys set up down wind and shoot swinging birds. Nothing like guys without decoys setting up down wind of you!

2. northern wings

northern wings Elite Refuge Member

I was already set up and some guys buzzed in and asked if they could hunt down ''over there'', I said I can't stop you. Needless to say over there became ''right here''. And don't you Anchorage guys worry if I make it down there I won't be one of those guys...I can't wait to get down there and see what they have in that store! Let us upnorth folks know if they have anything good :)

3. akjohnnyp

akjohnnyp Senior Refuge Member

The Sportsman store isn't going to be a good thing for my marriage:l I am looking forward to it though.

If any Anch area folks would like to meet up this fall I have a 16ft John w/a 25 horse Go-Devil. I've only had it in Jim Creek because it's relatively new to me and I haven't done much scouting. Maybe a suggestion or two?

This fall should be twice as fun, I'll be doing it for the new pup AND for me:)

4. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

I'm glad its going to be in south Anchorage. Dont want that too close to me. Its hard enough to control myself when I look at a picture in a catalog. seeing the stuff will send me over the top.

5. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

I live very close about a mile or so away, I better get a second job.

6. kodyb

kodyb Senior Refuge Member

Expanding on what Bigreid and Northern wings have already said I agree with them it seems like there were more A lot more people in the marsh this year. Where i hunt i can usually tell peoples boats and see the same people at the boat launches so everyone seems to know everyone. This year was different a lot more people i would not mind it so much but the new ones out there this last season seemed to be more rude and diddn't have much for hunting ethics. Maybe on this site we should just say how we have been doing with out saying where we did well at. Seems like there are only a few areas around here to hunt and i feel that there is no room for people who disrespect the areas and people hunting them. I think that there are non members of this site that view how things are going during the year and I say lets still post how we did but just not post where we were seeing amounts of birds at areas and try to leave the field reports to PM's. What do you guys think? Just my 2 cents. thanks

7. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

Kody and I have talked a little about this and I agree. We all have our little peices of paradise and saw some new faces this year. New faces are not necessarily bad but some of their actions are. Skybusting and setting up too close are some prime examples of uneducated hunters, educating birds. Remeber, feet down in the decoys! So you scratch a few birds down as they fly by and cripple twice as many, the fun part of duck hunting is calling watching them work and hoping they commit. We have all lost birds on that all important, "don't take'em givem one more pass" then they fly away. I can live with that. I don't enjoy guys shooting birds I am working as the swing wide overthem because they are set up down wind with no decoys.
    THose of us that have been around this site a while know each other and where each other hunts and respects that, and that is how it should be. Hopefully some of the guys that are new in the marsh will learn and respect everyones space. We have enough water for everyone, and overall most guys are pretty good compared to other areas I have hunted. Hopefullly it will improve next year. I would be willing to bet that a lot of the guys that were out last year will only be out the first week or two then we will not see them when the weather gets tough.

8. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I can tell you guys that you are going to love Sportsman's Warehouse. We have had one for a few years now here in Boise and It is about the only place anyone goes for stuff anymore. Good selection, fairly reasonable prices, seems to be a pretty well run outfit. I'm not positive, but I think it is an offshoot of BassPro. They have tons of waterfowl stuff and seem to key into what the local market wants. The decoy selection reflects what we commonly need around here and fishing tackle reflects the same.

As far as your other discussion, it did seem like the decoys sold out of here pretty fast this year and competition was stiff at the lake. We had a pretty good spot that no one was using, but we made the mistake of taking a 16 year old friend of my son's with us last year and it became a land dispute. He hunts it more than us, even posted stuff on the Idaho forum about how good it was down there. We have parted ways thankfully, but not until my oldest boy had to give up a mallard band to the kids brother, trust me there was no doubt about who shot the bird. Apparently it is a matter of who gets off the first shot rather than who kills the bird.

We had our share of squatters this year, but other than messing us up a few times they really didn't hurt us all that much, was kind of humorous when we were getting quite a few. Just kind of makes you wonder what they are thinking when they set up with a duck call 75 yards away and no decoys, seems a little obvious. I guess they think that since I have 200 decoys they don't need to bother putting theirs out, assuming they have any.

9. northern wings

northern wings Elite Refuge Member

I will be doing alot of scouting this summer to try to find some new holes where ducks are more common than hunters. In my inquiry about hunting Anchorage for some divers the reason I asked about location is to avoid invading someones spot. I know a couple guys who live down there who could point me in the right direction of ducks , but I wanted to ask the local experts-YOU GUYS. So anyone willing to share info can PM me if they want. I will probably do a Valdez hunt too if I can get my Grandfather to fire up his charter boat (usually halibut) but my dad would like to hunt deer and I ducks. I can't wait to start checking out some duck holes that I have been wondering about up here. Thanks to everyone.

-northern wings

10. kodyb

kodyb Senior Refuge Member

As of 10am this morning sportsmans warehouse is open!!!!!!

what do you think it will do to the other businesses, "mountain view sports"?