Sportsman's Warehouse

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by bigreid, Feb 5, 2004.

1. AzSprig

AzSprig Elite Refuge Member

You guys are gong to love Sportsmans Warehouse, its full of GOOD duck hunting gear. In Arizona we pretty much had to order all of our gear, but since they moved here last November I only have to drive a couple miles.

2. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

I forgot to post that this morning! I drove by yesterday and saw that. Grand opening won't be until Feb. 28. I am going to go by after work today!

3. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

kodyb,

Sportsman's warehouse is going to be hard on local sporting goods businesses. One of our long time locally owned stores folded up shop when they came to town. Sportsmans really was lower on prices and had good specials until the other business colapsed then they went back to just being reasonable. But at least they are reasonable, the other place was way overpriced. Competition is usually a good thing.

4. kodyb

kodyb Senior Refuge Member

I do think with the opening of sportsmans warehouse that we all will see larger of numbers of people in the marsh this year. Some of those people will try to polite and respect other hunters others will just be jerks. I am all for everyone doing well in this sport that we all love. I dont have a problem with braging on this site about how well you did, but leave the area you are hunting and doing well or poor at to PM's.

5. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

I'm guessing that the opening wont have a real big impact on the pressure. Opening day is normally right in the middle of everyones moose, caribou... seasons, and duck hunting is "the other" hunting when they get done with the big game. If nothing else, there will be a lot more gadgets out there on opening day than we normally see, but by about week 3 or 4, it gets down to just your typical duck hunting fanatic.

6. bigreid

I agree with both Kody and Dallen. I think there will be more guys out as we saw this year, but Dallen made a good point that duck hunting is in the middle of big game hunting so many guys are doing that. Just from my observations from this year something got more guys into the marsh, at least on the weekends. Maybe with Sportsman's Warehouse guys will have the opportunity to buy some good equipment and not feel the need to crowd in to others.
    As far as "bragging" on this site I like to see how others did and post my pictures of enjoying trips, and i agree that we should probably PM locations. I think most of us regular posters know where each other hunts and respects that. As Kody pointed out there may be some that just lurk around to get reports. As far as I am concerned every weekend could be bad, I will still be out there!

7. akjohnnyp

akjohnnyp Senior Refuge Member

Gents I respectfully submit this post.

It is my opinion that when you experience those incidents that were described earlier, i.e. hunters showing up without decoys, that this may be a perfect opportunity to offer a little education. Many folks self initiate into sporting without seeking "experienced" advice and venture out "into the great outdoors" without fully realizing the impacts that they are having on others or the environment. If we take the time to educate them, or at least try to, it is possible that instead of being detracting to the hunt they could be convinced to set up in a location that everyone benifits by pushing game to each other. After all once they show up, your secret location is no longer secret. And if a situation like this arises and all goes-not-so-well, those individuals could make it worse later on. Another aspect of good sportsmanship is that these "newcomers" are also conservationists that are contributing to the same organizations that we all are. If we alienate them we are in a sense hurting our own cause. Cheers!

8. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Kind of to get back to Sportsman's warehouse. You will find that once they have driven out the competition they will have fewer and fewer good deals. That is at least what has happened here in Boise. They certainly remain competitive, but I still shop around for various things. I can get a case of steel shotgun shells for about $15 less by ordering from cabelas at regular price and paying shipping. That includes the 5% discount at sportsmans on case lots.

In your case in Alaska, I assume that shipping is still a big headache as it was 24 years ago when I lived there. Sportsmans will no doubt take advantage of that situation. They are still the best place in town and everyone's gotta make a buck.

akjonnyp, I completely agree with you about guiding along young hunters. I have found that it doesn't always work out, but I will keep trying. I have taken a kid, a friend of my son along with us for 2 years now and he has not been learning his lessons very well and has in fact taken over my hunting area and has done some pretty selfish things to my son in the duck blind. Try as I might, I could never teach this kid anything. Time to move on and help someone else. There are lots of good waterfowlers out there that are respectful and ethical.

9. akjohnnyp

akjohnnyp Senior Refuge Member

Wood,

I agree that there will be those individuals who you just can't seem to get through to. No doubt. I believe that they usually get what is coming to them, not in the form of violence, but legally. Talk with officials, friends, Fish and Game, etc... discuss the alternatives, then it's just a matter of time. Kind of like duck hunting in itself, gotta be patient. ;)

10. bigreid

I agree with the both of you. When I have talked with others hunting the area I hunt we have discussed where each other likes to hunt and we agree to spots that will be beneficial to us both. As in areas that will keep birds moving and scatter around as to not have ducks hold in one area drawing in all the other birds. It is the late comers that it is very difficult to talk with becaouse they are not at the boat launch early and at "normal" duck hunting times. I complain but the majority of the guys in the marsh are very ethical and seek areas not close to others. It is just those one or two guys that screw up a couple flocks that you remember. In the area I hunt I am fortunate the the majoity of hunters are very good and willing to do the work it takes to be successful.