Spot Lighting

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Hitman, Dec 18, 2003.

Spot Lighting

1. Should be Out Lawed

23 vote(s)
    52.3%
  2. Allow Spot Lighting

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

O.K. who goes out spot lighting (un-armed) for deer? This is a real pet peave of mine. I wish they would out law it (here in Pa. anyway). What do you guys think?

Mike

2. Packman

Packman Elite Refuge Member

allow with time of year restrictions. Like none from sept 1 to march 31

3. Hitman

I might be able to live with that.

4. codyh

codyh New Member

I think only certain people(organizations,clubs,ect....) should be allowed to do it but only for estimating the population of the deer in their area. The wildlife association i am in does this and it really helps in seeing the qaulity of the deer herd in our area.

5. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Hitman,

I do it but only in areas that I know the lay of the land and the location of the houses and buildings. I know how much of a pain in the butt it is to have your house shined every nite 20 times. Thats why I do it in places that I know.

2 years ago we found 19 deer shot dead by jacklighters and left for dead and 2 bucks that were left after sawing off the horns. We call every time we hear a shot but can't get anyone to respond very often. The ones they have caught I ran up on them with the 4 wheeler with the lights out and got their tag ## and turned em in.

Lost 2 shorthairs to jacklighters @ 30yrs ago. Shot right in their kennels. If I'd have been around that night, they'd have gotten what for and become bumps in the river mud!

Doug

6. Hitman

Doug what a shame about the deer! But the dogs? If someone did that to my dogs I'd hunt 'em like a White Tail. What really jacks me about spotlighters is to them it's scouting. They're too lazy to drag their *** out of a truck & take a walk in the woods. Then they spot a deer & keep coming back every 10 minutes to burn more of the animals retina out. They spot my horses in the field, and back up, pull forward, back up, pull forward. In the mean time my dogs are going nuts. I always wanted to get camoed up & hide in my field with a potatoe gun, as soon as they hit the spot I launch a spud at them. To me this would be fun.

Mike

7. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

I'm amazed that some idjut would do that. I guess we're less densly populated than other rural areas, but that's never been a problem. Killing deer while spotlighting was once a big problem.

8. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak Refuge Member

It's harrassment of game. I don't see any other way to look at it. I don't care if you have a gun or not, it doesn't come close to following the rules of ethical hunting. If you aren't going to shoot deer spotlighting you're obviously scouting. I'm not trying to be harsh but I really repect these animals and spotlighting is wrong IMO.

In ND it is against the law I believe. I'm not sure exactly what category it falls under but it's not legal. There are people fined each year for spotlighting. The way it should be.

9. Hitman

Great post Whitetail Freak! Spotlighting is a lazy man's excuse for scouting. You want to see deer, go to a petting zoo.

Mike

10. muddydog

muddydog Moderator Moderator

i think some people should use a little comon sense and not "shine" close to houses..

but to be knowledgable about deer..one really needs to shine.. and learn.

80% of all deer activity occurs at night.

95% percent of the deer i have watched with a light werent too concerned with the light..when operated properly.

the amount of information you can learn about behavior and deer numbers is incredible..

it pays to let a possum cop or sheriffs department know you'll be out there..too. it saves everyone some hassles.

most states its legal in..unless they can prove you are HARASSING..the deer.

i have seen the LARGEST whitetails of my life..doing this. that have never been seen in daylight.