Spot Lighting

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Hitman, Dec 18, 2003.

Spot Lighting

1. Should be Out Lawed

23 vote(s)
    52.3%
  2. Allow Spot Lighting

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. quackmaster4

quackmaster4 Elite Refuge Member

I spotlight sometimes. I never thought of it as scouting; just an opportunity to see deer and deer behavior when they are out in the open. Let's face it, they are very active at night, and what deer would come around me sitting in my stand with my flashlight in the dark? If you live in an area that sees alot of people spotting, then I understand why you might feel the way you do. I have seen some pretty rude behavior such as shining on houses and such, but am careful not to do it. It gives my family something to do on a fall evening besides sitting in front of the TV. I do agree that a ban on spotting would cut down on poaching because those folks would no longer have a legitimate excuse to be out there. It is a touchy subject, however I can honestly say I never found a place to hunt while spotting. I have seen some deer that I might not have known were in the areas that I already planned to hunt.

2. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

I second that. I'm just now trying to figure out the predator calling thing. I have had the chance to observe many deer with a red lense spotlight. i've even had deer come to a "fawn in distress" call :eek:

I'm astonished (and very sorry) that some of you have trouble with your houses getting lit.

In open areas with no houses, keeping the deer in the periphery of the light, or using a red lense, you can really learn about all kinds of nocturnal animals including deer.

3. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

OK. i apprciate that. I have an aunt and a pile of cousins who live in Indiana county, just south of the court house. Are you far?

4. DBL

DBL Senior Refuge Member

I watch deer with a spotlight all year long, on my own property. I would never shine a spotlight on to someone elses property.

5. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

I live about 45 minutes from Indiana county.

6. Paul from NZ

Paul from NZ Senior Refuge Member

Spotlighting Deer and shooting them is Legal here in New Zealand and generally excepted, Deer just become very light shy and know to run for it when they see a light! I still shoot a few with spotlight, but generally prefer to hunt them During daylight hours.

Paul

7. mikeee

mikeee Senior Refuge Member

Va. it's against the law, as it should be.

8. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

It is for sure against the law if you have a gun in the vehicle. If you're saying it's totally illegal, tell me which section of the Virginia Code says it.

9. yuckaduck

yuckaduck Senior Refuge Member

although I haven't used a spotlight for at least 10, I don't have a problem with someone who does. To me there is no difference scouting for deer that way and sitting on the back porch with coffee and binoculars. with some hunters working crazy shifts that is the only time to do there scouting. i am sure that there are not many people like this though.
    I do feel that the guys who do use a spotlight, have respect for the land owners, and not be jerks. they just need to use some commonsense

10. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

hey hitman......if you find a good spot to look....dont take any friends.... they always want to keep what they find for themselves.....I took a buddy to one of my good spots...here is what HE found... BOTH sides too!!!!!!bob