Spot Lighting

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Hitman, Dec 18, 2003.

Spot Lighting

1. Should be Out Lawed

23 vote(s)
    52.3%
  2. Allow Spot Lighting

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

WOW AGAIN!!!!!:eek: I'm thinking of taking the Springers, maybe they'll sniff some out for me.

2. mikeee

mikeee Senior Refuge Member

ยง 29.1-525. Employment of lights under certain circumstances upon places used by deer.

B. Any person in any motor vehicle who deliberately employs a light attached to such vehicle or a spotlight or flashlight to cast a light beyond the surface of the roadway upon any place used by deer, except upon his own land or upon land on which he has an easement or permission for such purpose, shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. Every person in or on any such vehicle shall be deemed prima facie a principal in the second degree and subject to the same punishment as a principal in the first degree.

I stand corrected, in Va. you can spotlight, if you own the land or have permission to spotlight ( no one I know would ever grant such permission). I thought that was the point of this thread, spotlighting without landowners knowledge.

Sorry for the mix up Beav.

3. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

mikee... the way I read that law in pertains ONLY to people IN....repeat...IN a motor vehicle. that part as written couldnt be applied to someone walking in the woods.......bob

4. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

No sweat.

You're right, I wouldn't give anybody permission to spotlight deer, but many land owners give permission to predator hunt.

I'm not totally sure, but I think it used to be legal from the road IF you didn't have a gun in the truck.

If was totally illegal, you couldn't predator hunt at night. Some guys have rigs in the backs of their pickups to hunt predators at night. They have a raised seat with a shooting rest. The call and spotlight are hooked to the truck battery. They hunt from that. A little over the top for my tastes, but I ain't knocking it.

Of course, you can't hunt predators or anything else from the road. You can't shoot anything but predators, racoons, etc. at night. Legal shooting hours 'protect' the deer from being shot at night - I suppose. I have called up more deer at night trying to predator hunt than I have predators though. It wouldn't be hard for an unscrupulous person to really whack the deer at night...:(

5. mikeee

I guy I hunt with has a buddy with a rig like that on his truck. I think the report from last friday night was six coyotes, two reds and four greys, with the group, and they were hunting in Hanover. Take care and good luck the last week.

As for in or out of the vehicle, I just would not take a chance myself. To each his own though.

6. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

:eek: My gosh!!!!

I'd like to see those fellows in action. Think they'd let me ride along(without a gun) to see how they do it????

Six 'yotes????!!!!!!
    I have to learn their tricks....

7. mikeee

I'm still working on my invite.

8. BlackSwampSpecial

BlackSwampSpecial Moderator<br>Arkansas Forum

On the cache river in Arkansas lookin up at a wood
    It's against the law here in Arkansas to use a spotlight unless it is police or utility. I'll also admit when I'm out at 2:00 in the morning getting the lights back on I have shined across a field or two and looked at some nice ones.

9. kjrice

kjrice Elite Refuge Member

If it is not against the law, then I don't have a problem with it. That being said I've done it to see what is actually out there and which way are they moving. This has nothing to do with being lazy or lack of scouting, since I'm out there even before the local Joe Farmer gets his "personal" plants harvested off the west side of an unsuspecting hill or equally spaced locations within his cornfields in August. Being polite is very important and if I know someone got heartburn over it, then I would approach the person and tell them my intentions, and if that's not good enough then reconsider. Now if someone threatened me or sent their dog on me, it's on! I haven't found one attack dog yet that is above 00 buck. Folks get a much better response with "please don't do that...". I think that it's the stigma attached by many that if you spotlight, then you are up to no good that causes much of the grief.

10. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

If you read my post, my wife sent the dog out because someone was out of their vehicle, walking around my house at 10:00 at night with a portable spot light to get a better look at deer. She didn't know what was going on & as far as I'm concerned the dog did it's job, it chased him off my property. She isn't an attack dog, but I know what she would do if someone went near my wife or boys. As far as a dog being able to withstand 00 buck, you wouldn't have it handy if you were spotting, and if someone were to come back & go after the dog, then as Dakndug stated charges could & would be pressed for trespassing & anything else that could be piled on.