Spraying Spatterdock to Open Up Swamp

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by HatchieRiver, Nov 29, 2017.

1. HatchieRiver

HatchieRiver New Member

My swamp has a ~3 acre hole that grows a monoculture of spatterdock in the summer time. If I spray these will this allow beneficial aquatic weeds to grow naturally? Has anyone had a situation like this before? Thanks for any input.

2. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Certainly no guarantee removing the spatterdock will make a difference. Around here most swamps only grow coontail underwater and duckweed on the surface, in addition to emergent lotus or spatterdock as they tend to be too stagnant for anything else out in the water. Of course that may not be true in all areas of the country. I don't mind the lotus or spatterdock, up to a point, as it provides good wood duck brood rearing cover. Not a big fan of any monoculture so I to will open up pockets when necessary.

3. HatchieRiver

HatchieRiver New Member

Thank you Clayton. I tried to get sago started in this spot last year with no luck. I didn't spray anything though, I just planted it among the spatterdock. Is there anything I can do or am I doomed to never have food in this spot? Its 12 inches to knew deep all over with no way to drain. I think I have some hydrilla starting to take off in it as well. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

4. Clayton

The hydrilla is liable to take it over unless there is just zero light penetration.

Have you tried planting duck potato along the waters edge? Not the greatest seed yield but I have seen wood ducks hit it hard but also use by mallards and black ducks. Unfortunately it doesn't last long but better than nothing.

5. HatchieRiver

HatchieRiver New Member

I haven’t tried duck potato yet. Is it tough to get started? Is hydrilla any good? I thought maybe gadwalls would be attracted by it. We have had increasing amounts of it the last couple years but it is much thicker this year. Thanks again.

6. Clayton

Yes gadwall eat it.

I have had mixed results planting just seed. Seems to work better if planting an established plant.