Spraying weeds in new wheat food plot

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by sgt duck, Aug 24, 2017.

1. sgt duck

sgt duck Senior Refuge Member

Wheat is about 5" tall with 1' weeds mixed in food plot. Is it o.k to spray weeds with 2 4 D now? Thanks Tim (sgt duck)

2. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

My 2,4D label says not to spray over wheat or oats in the fall. I've never done it, so I can't say from experience.

3. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife New Member

Might try triclopyr. I don't have the label in front of me but I think it would work at the height your working with. Not 100%. It's commonly available as remedy ultra and garlon. Not generally labeled for the application but I know it is now approved to some degree on pasture land, can't remember who is using it but added another salt or ester to help with volatility.
    Other option is to mow the weeds off at the height of your wheat. Depending on what stage they are and if they are annuals you might kill them.

4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I would use 2-4-D, wheat is a grass. 2-4-D has been used so many times off label it's unbelievable. I used to spray 2-4-D on planted soybeans, no problems of course I had my fingers crossed.

5. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

I have sprayed my wheat with 2-4-D with no issues its a grass you should be fine. just watch the humidity levels