Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Spread Pics & What You've Learned over the years

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by kberggren, Jan 6, 2016.

1. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Reg where did you see four versions? Seriously looking at getting a few of these.

2. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

Yeah, I didn't realize there were options with the Clone.

3. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

On the Clones home page on the website it says 4 versions to choose from. Maybe they mean 4 species? They have canada goose, mallard duck and Specs coming soon.

4. hammbone

hammbone Senior Refuge Member

Who is using these? Are they a game changer?

5. teamoutlaw

teamoutlaw Elite Refuge Member

up until about 4 years ago I always used texas rags, shells, and silhouettes. Mainly homemade silos at that. We hunted permanent sets alot in KY and So Il when it all started like this because free lancing is kind of non existent with all the leased land. Actually had several 10-20 bird days and alot of times just over 600 or so silhouettes. We always used a cd car stereo, with an amp, and 1 speaker, and car battery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 yrs ago I sold off the rags, and silhouettes, and shells and went with new wind tamer Texas rags, new silhouettes, and 200 north winds. Had same success as always but I liked the north winds and how they looked. Got 2dz sillosock economies from cabelas and liked how easy and life like they looked so I decided to shed some more gear and downsize the spread and use just sillosocks, shells, and full bodies.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  6. teamoutlaw

teamoutlaw Elite Refuge Member

I managed to find a guy selling Bigfoot Canada 180 a dz and he had some ghg snows as well. said he would sell me 20dz snows n blues for 90 a dz if I bought the 20dz Bigfoot originals as well. So I bought everything. I hunted semo, ky, and illinois.

I used the 20dz ghgs and 200 economy sillosocks. I honestly don't feel like we did any better at all and it took a heck of alot longer to set up. We had a couple good days but we always did the same with the old spread which was more of a junk yard spread but was pretty large. We also had 2 rotaries and 8 fliers. I did have one day in SEMO where it was the best snow goose hunt I had been on myself with 98 birds being shot with 4 guys and we all had are plugs still in.

[​IMG]

Last year I sold off all the ghg's, rotaries, and fliers. I bought 15dz bigfoot snows when Cabelas clearanced and thought they would work well as there is no stakes to mess with at all. I also moved to North Dakota and around tax time bought 80dz sillosocks. Found a trade of an alumakraft ducker and traded off 40dz of the sillosocks. I ended up with 40dz socks and 15dz bigfoots. I sold some more sillosocks and bought 200 oversized headless sillosocks. As you can see I buy and sell alot. so the 2015 spring season I mainly hunted over 5-600 sillosocks and it was my best by far. I only deployed the bigfoots 2 hunts the whole season because it requires me to pull a trailer every weekend which cost more gas $ so I stayed more mobile and went with the socks. Obviously alot better opportunities here but I feel this spread was finally the best for me. I've got to where I want all the same stuff, brand, decoy etc because it makes the setup and take down go faster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. GOOSEMANRDK

GOOSEMANRDK Senior Refuge Member

These types of threads are a lot of fun to read. Unfortunately I don't have much in pictures of my spread as I seem to never take pictures of it. I got into the game on the late side(at least freelancing it) starting in 2012. My spread that year was just over 1500 white rocks. All of them economies that I painted myself. The next year, I uped it to just under 1900 by adding a bunch more blue decoys, as I felt I needed them in the spread. I hunt permanent spreads, so my spread gets set in basically a giant blob, that can be hunted from any side in any wind. My spread now is just under 1900 decoys, home made 4 speaker e-caller, custom made soundtracks, 2 -2arm rotaries and about 2dozen flyers.
    What I have I learned, well I really much prefer to keep things SIMPLE. I have found I am just as succesful using minimal gimmics and get to deal with far less hastles dealing with all of the gimmics. And probably the biggest thing I learned is when the little voice in your head recommends doing, or changing something JUST DO IT!!!! Can't tell you the number of times I have had that voice tell me something, not done it and regretted it.

8. Madison

Madison Senior Refuge Member

They look great, but not at $250...

9. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

I got 3 clones to use in Canada this fall. They provide far and away the most realistic flying motion available! Nothing comes close. They seem very durable, easy to set up and take down and I ran all three together all day on one marine battery. The remotes worked well and you can control the flapping speed which is nice. I though the plastic body was just a little too off-white and just slightly translucent so I painted mine. Certainly not a necessity. For me the only downside is the rod/stake they ride on. Too short and relatively flimsy. Easy to fix though. I wanted them higher off the ground so I stuck 8' - 10' long, 1/2" conduit in the ground and stuck the decoy rod in this.

I was up against a Canada trip deadline when I ordered mine through Jon; Luxury Hunter. A new product, they had not yet arrived on our shores. His service was great in getting them to me on time. And he kept me informed along the way. Now, in terms of a game changer; for me, the jury is still out. I honestly could not say if we did better or worse with them in use or not in use. We did a lot of changing things up this fall as the snows were as difficult as I have ever seen them in Canada. For sure, I am not ready to buy more right now, but I wouldn't sell them either. Even if I could get all my money back.

10. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch Senior Refuge Member

$270 special introductory price for clones!!! :eek: Hate to see what the regular price will be. :scratch