Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Spread Pics & What You've Learned over the years

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by kberggren, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

Technically that ain't squat compared to what I have tied up in everything else! I am going to buy two and I have talked one of my wealthier partners into buying a third. And I think Prairiewinddecoys has them for $250.00

2. Madison

Madison Senior Refuge Member

I wouldn't mind having a dozen or so in the spread- they do look sweet. However, the cost justification comes down to whether or not its worth the 2-3 extra flocks of birds that may not have decoyed...

3. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch Senior Refuge Member

And whether they have more drawing power that the 7.5 doz rockonomy decoys that would have cost the same. Although if it is equal, the setup on 3 clones would be much quicker than 22.5 doz rockonomys, but I cant see it.

4. goosetalk

goosetalk Senior Refuge Member

For those of you that hunt from a permanent pit spread, when you say you are running a skinny spread is that through the entire spread or just around the kill hole. We have a pit that faces east so I'm trying to think of a good set for 1,000 sillosocks where I don't have to move very many decoys for the wind. We will only hunt it 2-3 days in a row before we pick up to try and avoid weather hazards and theft. I was thinking a spread running north to south in the loose shape of a bow tie would work to funnel the birds to the center where the pit is. We are more in an area for migrator hunts so south winds will be hunted the most.

5. jcour4

jcour4 New Member

I hunt alone or with one other person most of the time and usually run around 600 silosocks. I have done the 1k plus decoys with flyers and all that crap and it's a pain in the butt. I have a bunch of flyers that I never use and wish I would have just bought more socks or shells.

As far as spread layouts, I just go with a long line with relatively spaced out decoys. I'll spread decoys about a 100yds and make it 60 yds wide with random groups and little fingers. I use whatever layout that I can easily hide which is usually a low profile, non framed blind. I don't bunch up any decoys around my blind and really try to find a ditch or something and hide off to the side. I love hunting in whites but with a small spread I just don't know if I could get away with it. I might try it this year when I'm by myself but a well hidden blind has worked for me.

I run 2 ecallers playing just content, individual snow goose sounds. I've had much better success doing this rather than playing the hyped up recordings of 10k plus snows in a field. The best thing I ever did was start hunting fields with sheet water, especially with migrators.

I don't usually shoot more than 15 birds when I hunt by myself but have had some really good shoots of over 70 by myself. Every time I set my spread out I'm hoping for at least six snows per person. But heck I'm happy with anything honestly. Plus with just a couple people hunting I don't have to wait for the huge group to get all the way right, if 10 cherry birds drop out of the flock and get 15yds out and a couple feet off the ground we are shooting. If we are having an awesome day, we will try to get big groups on the ground and basically shoot them like you were jump shooting them. I hope this helps anybody that doesn't have the funds or group of people to run large spreads. I do hunt with larger groups of people with much larger spreads but the average bird per gun is actually less than when I run a smaller spread with fewer people.

GK1 likes this.
  6. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

Great thread. Tribute to K. Berggren who has passed away. Will miss his inputs to this site. Prayers for the family.

CANME likes this.
  7. waterfowler6963

waterfowler6963 Senior Refuge Member

I think it was his dad Lynn that had passed away prays go out to the family

8. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

You are right my apologies. Edit don't seem to work here anymore.

9. gillbilly

gillbilly Elite Refuge Member

Great thread, lots of good info! Only thing I can add that has taken 10yrs to learn is, make sure you take a bunch of young guns to do all the work!! Muddy fields and old bones, still lovin it.

10. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

Was this just in the last few weeks? He was just posting on the Habitat forum last month I believe.