Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Spread Pics & What You've Learned over the years

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by kberggren, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Greenhedges

Greenhedges Elite Refuge Member

I believe it was this Tuesday while hunting...

2. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

Wow, that's terrible.

3. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Set two thirds of the spread this weekend. 600ish down, 300 to go. This will be my third year hunting snows and all I've learned is I don't know what the hell i'm doing. The cornfield to the north is under 14" of water this year so maybe that will help.

[​IMG]

KID CREOLE likes this.
  4. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Clones look great but make a lot of noise. They sound like someone is trying to start a car. Geese probably won't hear them over the e-caller but for the money you would think they would be quieter. I'll wait and maybe they will get them toned down.

5. WLDuckBuster

WLDuckBuster Senior Refuge Member

I'm looking at getting a drone. Was wondering what kind you had and how you liked it

6. CUTTERS DADDY

CUTTERS DADDY Elite Refuge Member

Got one of the more smaller spreads going, 11 doz sillosocks, 4 sillosock flyers, doz white rock sentry, 2 doz full body specks, a couple of layout blinds (can't use e-callers). It's usually just me and my son and have really only hunted our 5 day late season (after duck season closes). Our calling is okay, but we mainly target specs and luckily we can get them to turn and come to us on occasion but the snows are a different story. We probably average about 6 or 8 geese (mostly specs) per hunt between the both of us and I bought some white tyvek suits but haven't used them yet. I know the layout blinds stick out more than I like but they're so damn comfortable. I also probably bunch the socks too close to each other and make the spread even smaller looking but I do make sure that if the socks turn they don't touch each other. In any case, I'm debating about getting another 10 dozen sillosocks for next year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

I have a Phantom 3 Standard. $500 from Amazon. I really don't do much with it, just take spread pics and make sure the hide is good. It really opens your eyes on how bad things stand out. Take my pic for instance, 400ft up and you can pick out my pit instantly. The right half has a coat of spray paint and a little natural grass on top, the left half is pure duracover and stands out like a sore thumb even from that high up. Anyway, it's easy to fly and takes pretty good pics and videos. When I use it to help scout, I sometimes regret not getting the Pro model, which has a range of 2.2mi. The standard gets to about 3/4mi on a clear day. I know it will easily go to 2000ft high, though I have NEVER taken it up past 400ft :no. If you have any specific questions you can pm me.