Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Spread Pictures

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by TOYE, Mar 24, 2014.

1. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

Let's see them. Here is a picture where I spent most of the spring season this year. We have hunted this pond since 2000 and it remains a very good spot with thousands killed over the years here. TX rigged all my floaters and put them all out and I think it really helped. This spread consisted of 1700 White Rocks and 300+ floaters.

[​IMG]

2. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

Looks good Tony. Did you kill many over the water? Every time we set the spread up like that on the ponds they ALWAYS want the top edge in the field. We rarely mess with floaters and just hunt the hilltops, but try to keep the pond on the downwind side. They seem to feel comfortable swinging low over the pond and coming right up the spread.

3. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

Nice Tony. Love the water spreads myself. Although, this year for us was different on the water versus any other year.

4. Geez n Quackers

BTW, IMO hunting water with a big floater spread is much more work than any field set, excluding ankle deep mud. Especially until all the ice is gone and doesn't return. But well worth it as an option.

5. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

It really depends on the day. The pond is on the south side, with birds decoying the best with a north wind but the majority of the birds want the field over the water. However, I do think that the water and floaters provide an added confidence to the birds. I can hear the shooting around us and we commonly start off much slower than the other field spreads but come 11 when the feeders are coming back and the migrators are starting to show this pond takes over.

6. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

Tons more work!! It took me 2+ hours picking it up and trying to keep it clean in thick mud. My back was killing me! I easily could've picked up the 1700 socks in that time. The rewards are worth it though!

7. birdhunter98

birdhunter98 Senior Refuge Member

That spread looks good. Really natural look to it. I love how you have the floaters spread way out and far off the shore. Most are too lazy and would just toss them all balled up off the bank. Hard work pays off. :tu

8. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Yea its more work but with that spread but I'm guessing you only had to do it once. If you had to move that spread everyday it would kill a guy but only once or twice in the end makes for far less work. Like how you have your floaters busted up.

Someday I'm going to take my floater spread out and put in the center of a lake and use layout boats and see what happens!:dv

9. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

Moved it twice in 2 weeks but there are still more daily maintance especially if there is ice.

10. Geez n Quackers

Maintenance is correct! Early on there are many times we are trying to keep a continent sized piece of ice that has broke loose and drifting from wiping out our decoys. Then there is the typical reopening of the waterhole with each overnight freeze. And unless you are using 16 ounce anchors, there are going to be winds that move your decoys.