Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Spread Pictures

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by TOYE, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Big Ches

Big Ches Elite Refuge Member

First off the bag was posted as a freakin joke pic of my spread since old boy needed a pic. I never said I averaged 30-50 every time out. If you read what I said it was that I expect to kill double digits and on good days we kill 30-50+. We killed 7 on the last day I went over and only reason I went was to pick up the spread as I knew the birds were all but gone. Other than that we killed double digits every hunt. I hunt in IL and yes it's a traffic spread but in the main flight route for 80% of the birds in the area. And yes we tend to cherry pick sunny and windy days to hunt. Why the hell would I drive 2.5 hours to sit in my spread on a cloudy or windless day? I'm not that desperate to see snow geese fly and I'm not particularly fond of getting frustrated by the lil *******s.

2. south of 41

south of 41 Refuge Member

Great looking spread Toye. I learned long ago no guarantees when hunting snow geese.

As for 30 to 50 bird averages crowd..... pick a different game.

?You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was.?
    ― Abraham Lincoln

3. Mallard-mauler

Mallard-mauler New Member

Tony, you handled that complaining client very well. The hardest part of being a guide for Snowgeese is managing expectations. I myself tell everybody the pictures they see on the web, of huge piles of birds are the exceptions not the norm. Everybody hears no plugs, electronic calls, no limits and they just see huge piles of geese in there future. I consider myself lucky that I haven't had a zero since 2009. That being said I came close this year. Thank God for a small group of 11 that we waylaid. I averaged 21 birds a day this season. Where I was there were a ton of other outfitters there this year and I was doing better than most but not as good as some. If you are averaging 30 to 40 birds a day be happy. And go buy yourself a lottery ticket. If you are just doing a three or four day hunt with friends then that's very easily done. But when you are hunting three weeks straight in every different kind of weather conditions, good luck. This year was an especially tough one. Many days of just watching them follow the leader and all head into one field. Frustrating watching tens of thousands of birds fly over your head and not even look. But that makes it so much more satisfying when you put up a triple digit day.

4. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

Biggest migration and killing day I've ever seen occurred on the full moon on March 11, 2009. My fields shot 932 geese that day. With shooters that day, 50%+ more!

5. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

Thanks, and I totally understand his frustration when it comes to birds not finishing since we want to kill them just as bad! I was a little ticked off by some of his comments about spread and hunter numbers though since they weren't true.
    We ended up with just over a 20 bird average which is below average but for the conditions, I was satisfied. As you said, better than most but not as good as some. I'm in withdrawl being home!

6. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Don't remind me of that day. :mad: I had guys from Colorado the 2 days before that and we were suppose to hunt that day(March 11). Colorado was suppose to get a bunch of snow so they left and we picked up and decided not to hunt that day even tho half the spread was already set. Plus, we stopped early the day before as I was thinking we were gonna hunt the next day(they decided about 9:30pm not to hunt the next day). We would of hit 100 that day and God only knows what woulda been killed on March 11. :cry

7. letemwork

letemwork Senior Refuge Member

That day will be remembered as best case scenario with migration coming out of the south and a snowfall just north of us sending them birds back to us!!!!:tu

8. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

Moon had little to do with that. Blizzard in the Dakotas sent them back hungry and lost. Lots of guys crushed them that day. I remember not wanting to go because the low was going to be 8 and calm winds, went to work instead. Big mistake!

9. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

We had 2 fields south and 2 fields 30+ miles east that all destroyed the birds during that huge migration from the SE that day. Our 2 fields to the north did average and saw average. It was the first sunny day for several days fueled by a full moon which finally unleashed the juvies from the south. There was no weather anywhere near us that would've triggered a push back that far south. Other outfitters had similar results that day. That's not to say NE didnt have a reverse migration, but that wasn't the case where we were at.

10. letemwork

letemwork Senior Refuge Member

Our field that I was in had all birds out of the SE and the other field that was 20 miles to the west had all birds out of the NW.
    We only hunted from 9 am till 3 pm in our field because of the temp that morning and the other field went out around 11 because we were smashing them and they weren`t even going to go if they hadn`t heard about how we were doing. My clients quit because they said they had enough...
    That was a first for me with clients saying they were tired of shooting them>>> LOL:tu