Decoy Forum Sponsors

Spread size?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Hunter Brown, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Hunter Brown

Hunter Brown New Member

what size spread are yall using on lakes? For instance I like to hunt in a specific decent size cove that has lots of pressure. How would you go about setting your decoys for something like that. Lots of cattails and marshy banks and open in the middle. We are hunting from the knee deep cattails

2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Where you hunt factors into it. What state?

3. Hunter Brown

Hunter Brown New Member

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Impossible to give specifics on the best size of spreads, but I'd go by this rule:
    Whatever everyone else is using, go the other way. If the guys hunting your waters typically use two dozen decoys, I'd go with eight dozen. If they typically use eight dozen, I'd go with nine decoys.......
    Sorry, but that's the best I can do.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I agree with Tuleman on showing them something different and I believe that is more important than numbers. Use a specie of decoys nobody else uses but is a duck that's in your area, throw in some goose floaters or a couple swans. Everyone in my area has 2-3 dozen mallard decoys so I based my spread on different puddlers and have no mallards in it and tripled the amount others use. Before you ask, I still kill mallards.

6. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

6 dozen flocked coots and two drake pintails.

If you want to go full hardcore. Buy a mojo floating bluebill and paint it to look like a coot, wing black and grey. Also get mojo flick a flock and paint them grey and black.

Buttesmacker likes this.
  7. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

All great advice ,the main thing is show them something different but keep it natural looking.

Billy Bob likes this.
  8. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

I also hunt pressured public water in Okla. My answer to being different is to use super mag dekes and I prefer my mallard drakes to be lighter colored than most. I also use goose floaters where possible. I even have one spot that is a long very shallow flat that I put out 6dz goose silos in addition to the floaters, the ducks love em.
    As everyone said " be different"

9. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Does anyone use a bunch of goose floaters and just a few duck decoys,been doing this last few years with good success. Also where I hunt motion is key,I love the Higdon pulsator.

Ringbill likes this.
  10. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

How often are you going to be hunting it?...are you leaving decoys out, or picking them up everyday?.......How many decoys do you own?

if you are putting them out, and picking them up everyday. I'd suggest putting out as many as can fit in your boat.

Change it up.............

If you are planning to leave decoys out, Take a bag, or two, out every day, so that it looks different every time you hunt. By about 40 or 50 days into the season, start bringing a bag or two back in.

Ringbill likes this.