Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Spring season.

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Ritchieduck, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Ritchieduck

Ritchieduck Senior Refuge Member

So how many of you "Canadian Fuger's" are going out for the spring snow season.

I can think of six of us from MB off hand.

We have had ducks and Honkers here for 5 days now. No snows that I know of. I have had 2 people say they have seen some but I am doubtful.

Good luck to all. It won't be long now.

I'll venture a guess on the date of arival being 03.26.09 into MB.:pra

Anybody else?

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

The snows will stage around whitewater lake and southern MB until around the second or third week of May. They will then make a hop up to my area, and the longest they have stayed here is 2 days, then they make the hop all the way up to Hudson Bay/Nunavut. Its been that way for the last 15 years up here, all plus or minus a week. Decoying them here in the spring is nearly usesless, as they have been pounded for the last 8 months straight and are wary as anything . Shooting them as they come off the roost or leaving the fields is as effective as anything. I've been so frustrated by them the last few years, I may not even go out this spring.

Perhaps I'll try something different and only put up a small decoy spread and hunt downwind a hundred yards or so. That seems to be the point where they all come in and then flare.

3. hanger

hanger Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

they fly right over us, some stop for a short visit south of here, but they are hard to hunt in the fall,let alone spring.
    Seen an eagle last week and some fellas say they saw crows. My guide saw a single Canada on Monday.

-23C this morning.

4. Ritchieduck

It all depends on what stage of the migration you are hunting. You have hunted them enough to know about it.

One thing that I would wonder in your case is the migration route the breeders and juvies are taking.
    I know that the majority of birds migrating through here are heading in a north westerly direction. You may never see a big concentration of juvies like we get eventually. And maybe that's why we have better success. The young birds may hit the parkland area and follow the tree line/cropland around over into Sask thus giving you the slip. Breeders being stronger physically and also having made the trip more than once know where they are heading and take a more direct line to their breeding grounds.

It maybe the same sort of thing we get here with the specks. We see flock after flock in the spring but very few in the fall.

5. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

R,

Will you be ready for them ???

Busy cleaning the gun and getting the new amp hooked up...

6. Ritchieduck

Batteries charged and ready man.

I have to get the bearings done on the trailor. I just put it in the shed with no tlc last fall. Winter kinda hit us like a freight train last year. I am going to get a few more things from Jim and I am set.

I have a nephew that is coming up from MN that is 6 and he is counting down the days. My kids are wondeing when it's time to get the decoy's out. So I am not sure who's more excited:l:l

I sure wish we could have taken a picture of the group of us last fall on that last snow hunt. What a performance:sp It all worked out in the end.:tu

Here's to more memories this spring!!!

7. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

With this winter which seemed to last forever, I'm just itching to get out and have at some snows! After snows comes bear hunting, then fishing!

8. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

Warren,

I have been in the Whitewater area a lot in the past few years, Chris Benson and Ritchie among others were around too and can attest to the fact that the spring season has not had more than a handful stage in that area in the last 2 years.

2007 found a few around but 2008 was dismal. The birds have been cruising past at nosebleed height and headed Northwest for the last couple of years. I put over 5000 km on in two weeks looking for them last spring and only found 2 huntable bunches within 45 minutes of Whitewater... all the major staging I could find was way north of #1.

I was even in your town last spring and believe you that they don't stay around very long, we couldn't find anything worth hunting while we were there, long trip for a good meal at the Wescana! Halving the distance between the two and I found a few birds but the stopover times were measured in hours rather than days.

Huge spreads and perfect timing on the juvy migration will get you birds but the patterns seem to have switched quite a bit in the last few years. Nonetheless we will be out again this year albeit in a shortened time frame and a slightly different area.

9. Sprad

Sprad Refuge Member

Anybody looking for an extra man in the field, I dont even know were to start for spring snows.

10. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Anywhere from where you are west. The closer you get to the Saskatchewan border the better. Although it all depends on the snow line, weather, water, and wind.