Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Spring season.

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Ritchieduck, Mar 18, 2009.

1. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

Yes it does, the majority of the birds don't pull out of sk to head to the arctic till the first and or second week in May.
    the leading edge of the migration has a better than a month to put on that weight right here in SK. This is what the biologists studies have proven.

2. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Well the Quill Lakes are about 350 miles from where I do some of my snow goose hunting. So one can't really compare what just one farmer sees in that area to rest of the prairie provinces. As Ritchieduck mentioned the migration really depends on a number of factors, snow line, water, wind, food, hunting pressure etc.. all play a role. I have heard of guys hunting them well into May and that's more than a month after they first arrive.

Case in point, last year in the area I normally hunt there was no sheet water for at least a hundred miles. The birds that flew into this area just kept flying north until they found some. This year will be different, with all the snow we're getting and the high moisture content in the soil. Sheet water will be everywhere. I would find it hard to believe that they could eat all the grain fields in the fall.

The birds aren't hunted nearly as hard as they are in the US, which also could allow the birds to settle into an area for an extended period of time. Some of the fields I have hunted in past that held snows, we've asked the farmer how long they have been in that field. Alot of the time, they say about a week.

Most of the birds I have shot in spring, are loaded with fat. To the point where you are grabbing globs of it from the under belly. I have had a few skinny ones though too.

3. CNWD

There hasn't been a lack of water in SK in the spring for about 5 years now lots of run off and sheet water lasting till the middle of May. I shoot snows long into May and have since the spring season has been in existence. The last two weeks that I hunt it is mainly made up of juvies of course but there are good numbers still around if you know were to find them. I totally agree with a lot of different variables do make up the migration as all ready has been noted. This has been a good discussion in regards to the migration.:tu

Here are a few facts on the protein amounts in grains.
    Check out the difference in the Barley and Corn.

Grains, Wheat (1 cup unless stated)
    Protein (g)
    Barley, pearled, raw 19.82g
    Buckwheat flour 15.14g
    Buckwheat, groats, roasted 5.68g
    Bulgur, dry 17.21g
    Cornmeal 11.7g
    Cornmeal, self-raising 11.61g
    Couscous, dry 22.07g
    Oatbran, dry 16.26g
    Wheat flour, white, self raising 12.36g
    Wheat flour, whole grain 16.44g

4. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

I agree, it helps take my mind off the raging blizzard outside and how by all accounts the darn white stuff should be melting away. oh well I've waited four months for spring another week won't kill me.:l

5. Coldfronts

Coldfronts Senior Refuge Member

I'd love to see more barley in the area we hunt. I didn't see much if any last year. Everything was in Wheat or Peas.

Here is what I observed awaiting the birds here in iowa...

Birds pulled out of the prairies of Texas, around the start of January
    Birds staged in Arkansas through the second weeek of February.
    BIRDS LEAVE RICE COUNTRY AND BEGIN ARRIVING IN CORN COUNTRY
    Birds arrived en mass at SQNWR in Mo. around the 13 of February
    Birds leaving en mass from SQNWR around March 13-16th
    Birds arrive at SLNWR in South Dakota around the 15-16th of March
    This is where I have left the migration...... I will be in Sodak April 4-7 chasing juvie birds...

Best of luck to you fellas!

6. Ritchieduck

Ritchieduck Senior Refuge Member

7. Ritchieduck

Ritchieduck Senior Refuge Member

Somedays these same birds will fly from South Dakota back to Mound City Mo. and vise versa Round Trip 6-800 miles a day.

With this happening the only thing holding the birds back is now a frost line instead of a snow line. No available water.

If the migration started and the breeding geese could find sheet water in Canada on the 1st of March. I don't think you would see "breeding geese" in the Dakota's for very long.

The geese you are hunting "Juvies" don't feel the need to breed so they take their time.
    With me saying I have seen birds in a field for two days. I didn't say they left. They just moved to the next field. If the geese are not presured do they stay in the same field in Iowa for weeks and months?

I personaly don't believe your theory on corn for the breeder's. Mother nature controls the speed of the migration not corn.

8. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

Might be getting a little wet on opening weekend, probably be wearing the waders

Corn is very limited up here, sometimes the birds hit it , sometimes not. The corn that is around is fresh as most was not cut untill mid winter.

Barley is in every 3rd field almost.

9. CNWD

I have seen waterfowl sit down on the ice (roosting water) their own heat melts the ice and forms a pool of water. From that pool of water I have seen them drink from it and do this over and over when there is no open water for them to drink from.
    :tu

I totally second the fact that the urge to get to the nesting grounds outways all other reasons that drives them to the tundra.

10. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

Looking at the snow lines and predicted temps up until Tuesday.... I don't see much of a push even touching MB for the opener... unless they scoot across on the east side and work their way North from there.

Also thought I would add in here that both the area they migrate through and my own area in the Interlake are in dire straits, sandbagging going on North of Winnipeg trying to save homes and out west the forecast is not looking much better. All that water from ND is headed here soon :(