Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Spring season.

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Ritchieduck, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

reports from Nodak site has birds coming straight up ND/MN state line, the flooded overflowing water being the only water open with these temperatures...slow thaw that is predicted up here will slow them down....or maybe they will head straight W after they reach Pembina, ND :dv

2. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Yup, did some volunteering yesterday, doing some tomorrow and maybe (depending on the back) some on Monday evening.

3. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Senior Refuge Member

I can't hardly wait for the Snows to get here! I'm a sucker for ammo purchasing, I tend to buy a case at the end of the previous hunting season so I know for sure I'll have what I want come spring time. :clap

4. Coldfronts

Coldfronts Senior Refuge Member

CNWD,
    I have seen waterfowl sit down on the ice (roosting water) their own heat melts the ice and forms a pool of water. From that pool of water I have seen them drink from it and do this over and over when there is no open water for them to drink from.

Awesome. Never thought of that but I'm sure they do. Take into account the amount of birds that are roosted too. If say 15,000 are using it at 5.5lbs a piece thats 82,500 pounds. It doesn't take much to start breaking up a little "black ice" with these warming blankets sitting on top of it.

Ritchie,
    The birds I have been hunting are using the EXACT same corn field they have been using since they showed up March 9th. Funny thing is I am hunting a water way that is in line with their roost and all birds we have shot are full of corn its amazing the birds can fly. I got another line of 5000 Juvie birds acting like Honkers using a corn field twice a day in Northern Iowa.

"If the migration started and the breeding geese could find sheet water in Canada on the 1st of March. I don't think you would see "breeding geese" in the Dakota's for very long." I think daylight hours would still be a big factor at this point. They know there is snow yet to come. I never under estimate what the adults can and will do though they are simply amazing somedays. The Juvy birds though are exact opposite. These are the birds that will stay in Corn Country wether it be Canada or Nodak longer to fatten up before the last trek into the Colonies of the north imo.... We are right now looking at a date in Late April around Devils Lake hunting the Juvy birds... I'll let you know what we see if the trip comes together...

5. Canuk

Canuk Senior Refuge Member

Too much SIR, not enough Cabelas... that goes for both good, and expecially service.

6. Canuk

Canuk Senior Refuge Member

Makes you wonder if those juvies drag their feet because they don't breed? what's really the rush to get to the arctic.

7. Zekeland

I guess we just wait...... :scratch

8. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

They are definitely sticking to the east. Small flock in Winnipeg this morning following the snow line.

Lesser Snow Geese

9. Zekeland

Cupped, get ready, looks like you will not have to leave home....

Reports of flocks in Southern SK, not sure if W or E, E should have lots of snow still....

10. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

Got some info that there is couple thousand in the Brooks AB area have been there for about a week.