Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Spring Snow goose Reports 2018

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by KEN, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Birdsgalore

Birdsgalore New Member

South Central nebaska along platte river going from Grand island towards Omaha is pretty much non stop snows in air and all landing on River which isn't uncommon except in these numbers. But wind got them staying pretty close by. Major snow storm on way the next few days mainly from Ne/SD border up right now but mic ice into Nebraska. Calling up to foot north down to 6"+ for Mitchell SD. That'll keep birds where I'll be.

2. Kansan

Kansan New Member

Not the case in NE Kansas/ Squaw Creek area. Very few juveniles around. Not seeing many at all in the flocks, and we've only shot a handful of juvies so far.

That said, we've had some pretty good action, but we're shooting almost entirely adult birds.

3. Neck Collar

Neck Collar Senior Refuge Member

I glassed a feeding flock of light geese yesterday in NE Kansas while on the road working & it was loaded with juveniles...Be Safe...NC

4. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris New Member

Still patrolling fields north of KC MO and have not seen any snows for about a week now. Drove across Hwy 36 from Cameron MO to Quincy Ill and had no sightings what so ever :( Certainly hope there's another push coming. I thank God for the bounty He provides us and the brotherhood/fellowship that we're blessed with through the harvest. Father, I pray that my brothers in the field have your hand on them to protect them, sharpen their eye, steady their aim and bless them with a plentiful harvest. Amen

Rope likes this.
  5. IA Backwater

IA Backwater New Member

You should've drove about an hour north of Quincy. We've seen at least 250,000 this morning. Some work, others keep flying south. 2 guns and 14 so far. Some stellar shooting going on, as I prepare for a shell run now.

6. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris New Member

Sounds like your in for a great weekend! Good luck men.

IA Backwater likes this.
  7. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

again in c Il. we saw less than a 100 but we killed 19 today we got our 1st juvie

8. Kansan

Kansan New Member

I've been watching geese in the area for weeks, and have visited Squaw Creek frequently. To say there are lots of juveniles in this area would be inaccurate.

9. Neck Collar

Neck Collar Senior Refuge Member

The light geese that spent the winter in this general area (50,000+) had an unusually high number of juvenile geese this year due to last summer's great hatch...Those geese are of course now north of here as new ones move through everyday & there are also higher than normal numbers of juveniles in these flocks for this point in the spring migration...By the way, to clear up your inaccuracy, that NWR in NW Missouri you referred to is now called "Loess Bluffs"... Good luck this spring & be safe...NC

10. Kansan

Kansan New Member

That's just not what were seeing here, based on my own observations and talking to friends who hunt the area. We've spent a lot of hours hunting and scouting snow geese this season, and there's just not many juvies in the area. You're not going to convince me that there are.

And it will always be Squaw Creek.

Rope likes this.