Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Spring Snow goose Reports 2018

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by KEN, Jan 30, 2018.

1. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

Killed 48 with 3 guns in North central MO yesterday, mostly from locals in a feed field, but I believe we saw 8 small groups of migrators of which 4 came down and we shot into 3. Thr 4th kept sliding and we were being picky and they landed long. Of 48, 9 ross and 2 or 3 adults, the rest juvies. Lots of ross and juvies in all groups. There were Adults too but they weren't the front line that finished first. We weren't in a major flight path I don't believe, and I assume there was a fair migration yesterday based on what we saw.

2. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I know a guy who was in Arkansas until today. Had a good weekend last weekend and this weekend. There's still plenty of geese down south.

3. dog walker

dog walker Senior Refuge Member

I was in Ar this weekend. The geese had moved out the area we were in. My friend that lives there was about to call me when we pulled up and tell us to not come. The birds were on his farm on and off all week but bugged out a day or so before we arrived.
    Drove around and only found one feed of a few hundred. Sunday morning heard some shooting west of our location but it didn’t last long. Two of us killed 7 and saw maybe 300 in the air that morning. There was no high fliers moving just a few flocks bouncing.

I don’t doubt there are still birds in the south as I’m hearing of birds still here and being hunted in La but the big push has passed I believe.

4. YanktonSquid

YanktonSquid Senior Refuge Member

Wonder how far back south they went with this storm or if they tried riding it out. 60 mph NW winds and 6-12" of snow over much of South Dakota yesterday. Cold temps forecast for the rest of the week as well. Its going to make for an interesting next few weeks.

5. iaduckhunter

iaduckhunter Refuge Member

Had a good shoot over the weekend. Just shy of 100 for the weekend. Lots of geese Saturday, didn't see much Sunday.

6. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Some still here near Sioux Falls as of 10:30 am. Less than there was yesterday morning though.

7. YanktonSquid

YanktonSquid Senior Refuge Member

Saw that DeSoto Bend outside of Blair NE is STACKED with snows. They havent seen numbers like this in over 15 years. Of the 10 years i have traveled that area I rarely saw birds in any real numbers there in the spring.

8. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

I wonder if that doesn’t have something to do with the rwb not having much water

9. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy Refuge Member

Squaw Creek as us old timers call it. Hunted Sunday and had a decent shoot, 16 birds for four guns. Wind Shifted Monday morning and picked up a bit more. Kill dropped to 6. Then the wind really started to blow and it went down hill from there. Even the professionals weren't killing much (9 guns 11 birds). Headed up 29 around noon Wednesday and found a gazillion birds just North of the Iowa line.

10. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Saw 4 flocks of migrators today east central KS