spring subsistence hunting in Delta?

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by RobR, Feb 23, 2005.

1. tbduck

tbduck Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Kusko good post. I am glad to read from someone that is out there. I think you are right that that legalizing the hunt with regulations was the way to go and is the way the future hunts should be. I am impressed they have enforcement in the area, they always are under staffed for the amount they are responsible to cover.

For some reason the reg link in the start of this poost leads me ot a messed up pdf. Anyone have another link to the spring regs?

2. Kusko

Kusko Senior Refuge Member

Bigreid,
    Which forum is it out of control in? I'm not sure which one you are talking about?

3. kodyb

kodyb Senior Refuge Member

I think the end date for the spring hunt for birds in delta is in august I want to say late august if I remember correctly. Not much time between the Sept 1 opening

4. Kusko

Kusko Senior Refuge Member

I'm not completely positive, but the season starts when the birds arrive and ends June 15? It then starts again on August 1 and ends August 31 with Sept. 1 being our regular season opener.

5. kodyb

kodyb Senior Refuge Member

Yes, i think that is correct

6. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

Kusko - it looks like you found it. I am going to go read your post right now.

7. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Kusko, like I said before, my beef is not with the existance of the season now codified by regulation. I understood that is was placed into regulation to allow enforcement of restrictions as well as being able to gather accurate data on harvest. Its kind of hard for the enforcement guys to survey harvest numbers when it was illegal to hunt in spring. Kind of put the feds, both biologist and enforcement in a hard spot.

My problem is with the definition of rural area in some portions of the state. And this is strictly limited to those areas on the road system. As far as the truckload story, this will occur in spring and fall seasons by both native, non native, Russians......... Take a look at the Snow goose hunt picture on the main forum. If its real, thats disgusting.

The public comment period for this hunt generally runs sometime in December to February of the year prior to the spring hunt. Thats the time to voice you opinions and suggestions regarding the season.