Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Spring Trip Recommendations

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by MDcanvasback, Feb 9, 2017.

1. MDcanvasback

MDcanvasback Elite Refuge Member

I have a credit with Delta Airlines that has to be utilized before May, so I am thinking a long weekend somewhere that I can hunt or fish. My initial thoughts were:

- Fly fish the midge hatch in Bozeman, MT with friends who live in MT
    - Merriams or Goulds Turkey Hunt in Mid-West or Easterns in the south (public or guided not sure yet)
    - Hop on a charter boat from Venice Beach for yellowtail and rockfish where my college buddy lives.
    - Spring snow goose hunt in mid-west

Any suggestions would be appreciated, need to bite the bullet and book something soon.

2. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Osceola turkey in Fl. Southern Fl opens March 4, central Fl on Mar 18.

3. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Senior Refuge Member

Fly to Miami. Rent car. Drive to keys.

Tarpon. May is prime.

Didn't say how much $$ you wanted to spend.

Vegas? Plenty of hunting there.

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I would go to MT. Fish and drink beer with friends. Always wanted to go and hunt/fish MT.

5. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Senior Refuge Member

Yes, MT, WY, ID, etc are special places for sure. We try to go west every summer to fish. May is a tricky month to fish due to runoff. Looks like some areas are WAY ahead on snowpack this year. This is good for summer fishing, but makes springtime fishing tricky. There are several hatches of big bugs in the spring on the different blue ribbon rivers that can be epic if you time it right. Again, rainfall and snowmelt play a huge part in this. The good news is that you can usually find at least one river that is fishable at a given time. Each one is very different.

Worst part about going west in spring-fall is coming home. You may not want to.

6. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

If you go to FL for tarpons...charter Lil' Red at Solutions Sportfishing out of World Wide.
    If you go to Bozman.....please give Don Thomas my best.
    If you hunt turkeys....can I go??

7. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

How about Las Vegas....Shots, Gambling, and Dancing girls.....Maybe not in that order..:l

8. Tomfowl

Tomfowl Refuge Member

If you go fly fishing for tarpon in the Keys, I highly recommend Captain Duane Baker out of Islamadora. I had some great days fishing with him.

9. Md Hunter

Md Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I just got back from a week of skiing at Big Sky (hour outside of Bozeman, near Yellowstone). Regarding the snowpack (and hence runoff), while areas west of the continental divide have gotten pretty good snow, areas east (Bozeman/Yellowstone) are a little thin. Lone Peak/Big Sky has picked up a good foot since I left (of course), but when we arrived, it was early season conditions for sure (i.e. thin cover, lots of exposed rocks). Point being is I wouldn't expect a heavy spring runoff into the Yellowstone this year. BTW, I was surprised how many folks we saw fishing.