Stakes for coroplast silos

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Billy Bob, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

They are nothing special and will have pretty basic paint but I have 3 poses, upright, rester and feeder. I may make sleepers also. Will post a pic when I get some painted unless you just want to see the design.

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

3. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

I can wait to see the painted version....just nice to see creations!

4. Alrik-MN

Alrik-MN Senior Refuge Member

The stakes will go all the way they the body and the u shape will hook on the top of decoy, maybe by a dozen of each and try, the 20" stakes are half the thickness so with them being silos on a windy day u could possibly get alot of unwanted bouncing motion, could always put 2 stakes in and that'd take care of that. Could also just cut longer stakes to length

5. Tailgunr

Tailgunr Refuge Member

I made oak stakes the same size as real geese and used liquid nail to attach. Rough the coraplast surface with sand paper, clean with rubbing alcohol, then glue.

6. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

Buy the 24" sillosock stakes from Prairiewind decoys. Jim sells them buy the dozen. You will like the thicker diameter of the 24" stake believe me. You can always cut them shorter if needed. Slightly heat the tip of the stake and place the decoy on a flat surface and push the stake through the decoy. A drop of Gorilla glue holds the stake in the decoy. Bottom pic is an example of why I'll never flock another decoy. Windy days and cattail fuzz don't mix well with flocking. Was a fun project though. 20140628_205120.jpg 20171127_145431.jpg

2WIDGN and snipe n like this.
  7. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

Oh another tip. Run long finish nails in the bills and tails. It will keep them from bending and looking like hell.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  8. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Good post and beautiful paint jobs.

9. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

bustducks, did you use a stencil when you painted your birds ? Did you buy it or make it ? Whatever you did, you did a helluva good job. I’m envious.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Looks like you got your pintail patterns from the same book I got mine. They look good as mallards too. After seeing the paint on yours I would be embarrassed to post pics of mine. :eek: :l :l I make stencils and spray paint the basic colors then add some details with a brush. I beat the heck out of my gear on 3/4 mile hikes through a salt marsh so that's all they get. Going to try the fiberglass stakes, glue them in and semi sharpen one end because of hunting salt water. With the 48" rods I will get 3 16" stakes that will be perfect length for me.

Thanks for all the help guys. :tu