Stand Your Ground: McGlockton shooting

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

McGlockton shooting …

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/7/23/17602312/stand-your-ground-florida-michael-drejka-markeis-mcglockton

The shootee should not have violently shoved someone to the ground over a parking space, and the shooter likely should not have shot someone over being shoved…

I was not there, and could not hear what was being exchanged, nor did I see what led up to the event… But it does not look to me that this event warranted the use of lethal force????

Someone shoves you to the ground, you pull a gun, yell “STOP!” and he keeps coming… Shoot… Although I could not hear what happened, I did not see the “shootee” making forward or aggressive action after the gun was pulled…

I get the impression that there was fear and anger involved in the decision making to fire, and I remain dubious that the fear was warranted for such action.

2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Justified shooting. Not much different than having to shoot somebody in a public land duck blind dispute.

3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I like her answer I can park wherever I want.

newduk, letmwurk, Allan and 2 others like this.
  4. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

Ya - but the old geezer only shot him once. In a public land duck blind dispute you empty out including the fourth that you float..

5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Good point.

chris l. likes this.
  6. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

Looks like the shootee didn't back off until he saw the gun being drawn - you see the same reaction at the same time from the guy in the foreground w/ the blue T-Shirt moving towards the altercation.

BUT THEIR IS AN EDIT IN THE SURVEILLANCE TAPE that is being shown @ 1:21. Looks like footage was cut out. Their is a fade cut - the guy to the right in the blue T-Shirt running away between the cars is all of a sudden crouching down between the cars facing back towards the shootee...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    freefall and Allan like this.
  7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Yes, I shook my head at that as well... But... They vote, and they have guns...

Too bad they cannot teach common courtesy in school....
    I am all for less regulation on guns, gun ownership, and to some degree self-defense shootings... But it seems to me, that shootings such as this are what will hamstring gun rights.

Yep, the guy only started to back off after the gun was drawn, but he did appear to be backing off before the shot was fired...

Too bad they cannot teach common sense in school....

8. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    It only took one shot. Good for him! I reckon all of those signs are for others. She must be better than others..
    She thinks anyways..

riverrat47 likes this.
  9. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

Here's something similar from my "neck of the woods." In this case, the shooter is facing 1st degree murder charges.

The statement indicates Montz and Reynolds pulled to the shoulder and while the men were arguing, Reynolds punched Montz twice in the face. Montz pulled a gun and shot Reynolds in the head.

Montz, who is being held in the Jasper County Jail on a $50,000 cash only bond, is also charged with armed criminal action.

https://rturner229.blogspot.com/2018/06/charge-in-road-rage-shooting-upgraded.html

freefall likes this.
  10. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Keep your hands to yourself and these things won’t happen. Is the moral to the story. This isn’t a white black thing as it will be made to be. The article is very clear that whites are scared of the mystical black man.

ripline and Allan like this.