Standard Decoy Length vs Real Duck Size

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by captaininsano050, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If that were true, then large lumps of mud would decoy birds as well as Avian-X TopFlights.

While ducks have been decoyed by lumps of mud in the past, I doubt that you rely on mudpiles for your decoys on a regular basis.....

2. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Stick a flocked head in the mud lumps - that’s the ticket.

Tuleman likes this.
  3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Where do you come up with that? Taking it a bit far? Dark decoys still have the shape of a duck. Just for laughs I used brown 2 liter bottles on a heavily hunted public marsh a time or 2 and landed late season birds in them. :l Again, ducks have a brain the size of a peanut.

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

So that's your rig now, brown bottles?

(I've killed ducks standing in the spread, but I'm still pretty well convinced hiding from those tiny brains works better.)

bufflehead1 and Tuleman like this.
  5. Tuleman

I think you just proved my point about lumps of mud.
    By the way, the Cree Indians in Canada used to use piles of mud....shaped somewhat like a 2-liter bottle...with a stick stuck in them like the neck of a duck, to decoy birds. That's where I came up with that. Where the Cree got it, you'll have to ask them.

My point is: every duck hunter has his personal standards about how crude a decoy he's willing to use to try to decoy ducks...some of us just have standards that are higher than others.
    Some use soda pop bottles, while others will accept nothing less than the most realistic decoy they can carve/buy. While just about any decoy will pull birds under certain specific conditions, I prefer to put all the odds possible on my side.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Il. MudDuk likes this.
  6. Tuleman

By the way, Billy Bob, since this thread is about the effectiveness of decoy size in tolling birds; have you ever used brown-painted 55-gallon oil drums as decoys? How'd they work out?

7. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

Not arguing by any means, but some clubs in southern Illinois used black painted drums cut in half, long ways, as big goose shells.
    I've seen reelfoot spreads with 100's of black bottles as well.
    As to the size making a difference to birds , no.
    Btw , I'd rather hunt over realistic decoys myself.
    I'm of the mindset that if using just a few decoys, realism may matter. Using more than 50 or so, I think the birds have "to much" to focus on to notice if a few decoys are missing paint etc.

Tuleman likes this.
  8. theduckguru

I would use 2 liter brown bottles but I can’t drink that much beer.

9. Scout_mn

Scout_mn Senior Refuge Member

I go for the smaller decoys. I hunt out of a kayak and the smaller the decoys are the more i can get. I got small hardcore decoys this year and the smaller higdon canvasback and bufflehead decoys for next year. With the smaller decoys i can run, 50-60 out of my kayak. In the picture are big mallard decoys that is why i down graded in size to get more in there. 20171016_184841.jpg

Tuleman likes this.
  10. theduckguru

What brand is your kayak?