Starting a spread, looking for advice

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by isu22andy, Nov 26, 2017.

1. isu22andy

isu22andy Refuge Member

Been honker hunting three times now and think I got the itch, whats it take number wise to run a spread and be successful on low pressure birds. Thinking a dozen shells and a dozen full bodies ? Would like to stay around 500 dollar mark for the entire spread - No decoy trailer and no decoy shed so transportation and storage is limited. Dont want junk or not enough if its not going to finish birds. That said the group that invited me to go we killed plenty over a mix of socks sillouettes shells and full bodies. Whats it going to take to get up and going ? Any advice for a newb ?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  2. ksgoosekilr

ksgoosekilr Elite Refuge Member

Are you going to be hunting fields mostly? I would get a couple dz of the GHG Hunter Series lessers and add more when you can

3. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

At the 500$ mark you can get 5 dozen divebomb silhouettes a bag to put them in and still have enough for gas money to find geese.

goosenazi and ArmChair Biologist like this.
  4. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

If you decide to go the full body route... Bigfoot originals are hard to beat...and a portion of the decoy is made here in the USA.

5. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Personally, this is how I would get started you get 28 for less than $300 to your door.
    http://www.bigalsdecoys.com/goose-decoys/ if they ever fade, turn them into black and whites. @joecitrano
    Maybe Joe will have a better idea, I tagged him so he will see it next time he logs in.
    You don't need all of those high dollar decoys for low pressured birds.
    Good luck.
    Dan:tu

6. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

+1 on the Dive Bomb silos, except I would get the new flocked head ones for $75 more. Silos kill geese and not just low pressure either.

pud123 likes this.
  7. isu22andy

isu22andy Refuge Member

Hunting all fields. Didnt know if 24 decoys of realism (Shells and fullbodies ) were more value than lets say 50 of not as good quality ?

8. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Numbers trump realism around here,the suggestions on the silos is spot on,they work all season long,take up little space,you dont need a trailer to haul them around in.

9. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Get silos then add full bodies as you have extra money, or never buy the full bodies if the silos work for you.

10. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

If I were to rewind time knowing what I know now I would go with silo's and socks.