Starting a spread, looking for advice

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by isu22andy, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

The 'coin' is negligible, all things considered. Time is more of a consideration. But, to your question.....
    [​IMG]
    That is a RG Pro, fabric side, on the left. Brand new, but is sure looks faded. Unflocked. The one in the right is the cheapest version of RG, the ones with no fabric (I forget the style name), but it is flocked. This is in a bright Las Vegas sun. Notice the shadows for the angle of the sun.

Now, two things. Which one 'pops' out? Which one do YOU think will draw more birds? Also, notice that 'shine'? Didn't think so. Shine isn't an issue unless you have the EXACT correct angle between the sun and the viewer. Since the geese are always in the air, till they land, that doesn't happen. Now, you might notice it from a layout, or in a pit, but not in the air.

BirdJ and Rangerbob like this.
  2. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

Native most of the cheaper versions have a shine and the angles aren’t always to the ground and can be seen from the air so I would I assume the geese can see them also but I am not going to get in a debate on this.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

No debate. You have an opinion, and are entitled to it. You certainly aren't alone.

I used to have Outlaws. Now, if ever a decoy, any decoy, was going to shine, it was those. They were like mirrors. Yet, I killed birds over them. Really, the only reason I moved to RG is because the Outlaws were also very brittle. They were breaking and cracking.

If you put silos in at an angle, or if the wind blows them over, the possibility of shine exists. I won't argue that. There are also some other situations where it could exist. Hunting a hilltop, with the birds coming from below, for example. Rare, but it could happen. The fabric of the Pro's negates most of that.

But, physics is hard to argue. Light does not bend, outside of external factors, such as water or a crystal. So, if the sun is above the decoy, the light will reflect down.

4. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

If you are walking in a lot of spots go with any of the coroplast decoys. I love real geese, and have killed anyone of geese over them, but they weigh a ton compared to the coroplast versions. No difference on finishing birds either in my experience.

5. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I have no issue killing geese over B&W silos that glare like crazy on sunny days. Those flocked silo's definitely stand out, and visibility is key. However I prefer B&W's for that. To each their own.

6. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

One of the biggest keys to success with silos is how you set them up. Too often they are set too close to each other. According to Daryl Wise the owner of Real Geese and probably to most knowledgeable man around of hunting over silos, spread em out, 4 or 5' between each decoy. I personally always had more luck when I set up 5 or 6 dekes in a group spaced as above and then move 15 or so feet before setting another group.

7. Native NV Ducker

I won a goose hunt with him here in the Bitterroot Valley, and learned a lot from him. Your estimate is actually short. 3 to 4 steps between dekes. I didn't question him (out loud) but I sure did wonder. We were hunting a sod field, blinded up on the edge. That is also where I learned to make chicken wire blinds. His were framed with PVC pipe, and they went up for a perfect blind in about 3 minutes.

We had our limits in about an hour. Would have been easier if I hadn't wiffed on the 2nd flock.

Rangerbob likes this.
  8. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

So after reading this thread I was like maybe I need to go get some silos but then got on the real geese website and noticed 224 a dozen and freaked out. I thought one advantage to silos was the price point but shoot they are the cost of full bodies. Do they really finish geese better than fully flocked or DSDs? I know it's all opinions but who doesn't like a good healthy debate.

9. Native NV Ducker

Sales happen all the time. You can find em for $50 less quite often. You also don't necessarily need the Pros II's.

DSD's are, what, $400 per half doz?

Let me know how it goes throwing 10 doz DSD's over your shoulder. Or, in the back of your truck, for that matter. I also don't double bag my silos. My 10 doz fit on one shelf.

It isn't JUST about finishing. First you gotta be able to afford to put a set out, and then transport (and store) that set. Hunt alone? A big set of FB's takes some time to put out.

FB's are great for some people. I don't own a single one. Never have. I kill geese.
    DSC01072.JPG

That is my Tarna, picking up a goose at about 25 yards. Yea, I have some shells in there, as I was worried about the frozen ground. They were my Dads, and I always like to have my Dad with me, in memory. Killed our limits with #6's, due to housing in the area.
    Also note the wide spacing.

10. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

You can find Real Geese much cheaper. My buddy had high dollar fullbodies that he had to bag the head, bag the body, and then use those high dollar six slot bags. What a PIA! After the geese finished to my part of the spread(RealGeese and Bigfoots), he sold all his fullbodies/trailer and bought RealGeese. :D my main reason for liking RealGeese over other silhouettes is they are great in shallow water.