Starting a spread, looking for advice

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by isu22andy, Nov 26, 2017.

1. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Native, The thing I have always heard about silos is you have to run a way larger spread than you do with full bodies. Have you found that to be the case or not? How many silos do you normally run? If you do need 10 dozen that does get spendy quick. I have never hunted over silos. I have always wanted to but never felt confident in them since I have never known someone personally who has used them.

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

I think it's Sean Mann that says 3dz per hunter.

EWUEagles likes this.
  3. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

I have killed 2-3 man limits over 2 dozen many times. Typically I always use 4 dozen at a minimum, because that is one bag's worth. With two bags, burlap, and shotgun I can walk out and set up in one trip. Adding the extra 20# of goose on the walk back can make my fat butt sweat but still easily done.

EWUEagles likes this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I 'own' about 10 doz, but unless I am in Canada, I never bring them all. 3doz is my go-to, for 2 reasons. First, that fits nicely in one of my satchels and over one shoulder. Next, I rarely feel I need more. Now, that is based on where I hunt, and what our birds are doing. 30-50 birds is a nice flock around here. We don't get flocks of 500 or so. Also, with the advice of spacing them out at least 4 steps, if you figure your set is 3 rows deep, that is a set over 40 yards wide, and maybe 15 yard deep. (That isn't how I set them, in rows, but you get the idea)

We DO get those numbers in Canada, so I bring all my satchels. However, depending on where and how we hunt there, we might not put them out. Last year, it was walk in only, so with blinds, decoys, misc stuff, we were only putting out 6 doz. We did just fine.

It also depends on how you hunt. You can easily use a doz just to cover up 2 layouts. If you are on an edge, you don't need that.

What I love is that I can throw 6 silos in the duck bag. I get geese flying the river, small bunches. Nice to have those 6 silos on a sandbar, or in shallow water, as an extra enticement. Almost zero weight or bulk. I don't 'hunt' geese a lot, I would rather hunt ducks. But, with those mini-sets, I get enough to keep me happy.

As an aside, regarding numbers. I know this is 'human' thinking, not 'goose' thinking, but I always figure somebody has to be there first. Why does there always have to be 100 decoys on the ground. If those were real geese, how many were in the first flock? If it was only 12, why did the other 88 join them? Silly, I know, but.......

5. waterfowlandy

waterfowlandy New Member

Best advice I can give you is to not cheep out on decoys. Birds get smarter the later the season goes on, and they start to key in on crappy decoys. Personally Avian-X Full bodies are the way to go, and just accumulate them over the years you hunt.

6. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

Yeah and accumulate a big trailer to haul them and a big 4x4 to haul the trailer and then find 6-8 guys to hunt with so they can help you put out and pick decoys. Then you have to add more decoys to hide all of the additional hunters. Obviously you have never hunted with silos.

7. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Great advice,i have been buying decoys for 52 years,I try and upgrade the ragged ones a little at a time.Dont forget some used decoys are worth niying,some.

8. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Refuge Member

Well guys I've read the entire post and rarely chine in because i don't consider myself as knowledge as many of you.I have hunted ducks for aprox 40 years and ducks and geese for about 25 due to the fact that when i was younger there were no geese to speak of in my area and i hunted ducks so hard i would not have had the time or money to do both.I use to travel to PEI to hunt Geese When i had more money and time That consisted of a 3 hr drive then 2 hrs on the ferry and then another 1 hr drive.After many years of that and the associated expense and the introduction of nuisance geese in my local area and their growing population I decided about 20 years ago to buy a trailer and some blinds and start hunting around here which brings me to my current spread.Right, wrong, good, bad this is what i do 90% of the time and keep in mind the geese are local and pressured and we are not on a flyway .The first decoys I bough were 24 henrietta shells that had wooden stakes and removable heads and a complete pain.I used those with the super magnum shells with removable heads and the were huge.I never did very well using these decoys.I sold my shells and then got 24 FB GHG with flocked heads and i flocked the tails and used them for a few years and got a few more birds but I would hunt with one or two more guys so I then added 27 used real geese silo's which i flocked the heads and tails and place them around the blind and not many behind the blind just a few.With this setup we killed a LOT of geese and I stuck to it for many years.This year we added 12 avion X which i flocked the tails to match the heads.The geese numbers were down this year in my area and we never shot well so i cannot say wether the addition of the 12 avion x helped or not but we did pretty well in the past with 23 full bodies as part of the each leg of the U and 27 real geese on the up wind side of the U where I use them to hide the blinds and they are always only 3-4' from each other and on different angles.It was not till this year that i was told the silloutes should be spaced 5-7' apart and that was by the maker of one of the silo's. Looks like i've been doing it incorrectly for years.One morning that stands out to me is when 4 of us shot 32 geese in around an hr for a legal 4 man early season limit.That field had no more or less geese than previous years but maybe we were in a better spot.The only time I;ve been skunked is if they never returned to that field the next morning which had only happened twice.

If i could start aver i think I would TRY an all silo spread of 5 dozen(you can always sell them).A couple decoy bags,a wing lock goose wisperer call and practice, practice, practice.A good layout blind if your not too old (imho they suck shooting to you side or over your head)and we are going to try to use an A frame wherever we can.Last but most important, scoot more than you hunt and be exactly where they want to be.

Well it's a long post but that's all i got......

9. waterfowlandy

waterfowlandy New Member

Not sure what the heck your talking about... We've got around 80-90 full bodies and I only ever hunt with 2 other people with them. We set them up in 45 mins in darkness, so unless you've got molasses in your veins it doesn't take long. Do and hunt with whatever you want put im happy with the numbers i kill over full bodies. Just trying to help another guy out:)

10. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

Shot this 4 man limit of late season Minnesota honkers over 4 dozen 20 year old big foots with half the flocking falling off that have been tossed into a trailer for their life. We also used 10 dozen RG PG II's that are probably 10 years old that are tossed into a tub each hunt. In short these decoys are not babied. At all. We dug our blinds to the doors were invisible to the geese and landed several nice groups. Decoys are about the 4th most important thing while goose hunting behind right place/field, hide, and weather. Other factors like hunting skill then start adding in like calling, decoy set, when to flag, call etc. I had 4 DSD's in the trailer that I didn't even set out because I didn't want to deal with the bags. LOL. I've tried all different types of decoys over my 30 plus years of hunting and I've come to the conclusion I like it simple. Foots and RG II's are super easy to deal with, no bags or fuss. DSD's are sweet decoys, I've actually thought about going back to an all DSD rig but just tossing foots and RG's are so simple. Use what you are comfortable with and can afford. There are so many great choices out there.

[​IMG]