Decoy Forum Sponsors

Starting All Over!

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by fireduck, Jul 30, 2018.

1. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

Last year in extreme cold a couple of decoy lines broke and lost a higdon can. All my decoys are in a slotted bag-with pvc cord-stretchee cords and j-weights. They will be 3 yrs old this year. Going to completly restring them. I've heard some pvc cord is better and others, and the same on the stretchee cords. Reading some old posts about stringing decoys and Tanglefree pvc cord and stretchee cord gets good reviews. PVC cord is easy to working with and easy on the hands. Some cords contain more silicone than others? Thanks for your help! Kenny-fireduck

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I have had good luck with the Avery pvc cord. The first couple years it sucked because it got hard and brittle, they fixed that. I have decoys that have been rigged with it anywhere from 1 to 8+ years w/o being replaced. All of the stretchee cords suck and last about 2 seasons if you're lucky. Best luck I've had was making my own with inner tubes so now as the stretchee cords break I am replacing with the home made. I should probably just do them all now so I stop having to replace lost weights.

3. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Have you thought about texas rigging your decoys? I'm not a huge fan of PVC cord and can't stand j weights anymore. I mostly hunt places under 6 feet of water so I went strictly to texas rigs. Billy bob is right and all stretchee cords break. I made some out of bungee cord that turned out well but don't know how long they would of lasted since the next year I switched over to texas rigs. I bought some decoys from a guy where the decoys were 5-8 years old and had Avery pvc on it and they were holding up very good. I have a couple decoys with Tanglefree PVC and have three season with them and they are holding up fine.

4. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I can't stand the PVC lines and have been very happy with tarred braided line. I like to body wrap decoys and the PVC line can pull the paint off. Even with the keel wrapped J-weights, I still use tarred line and just the short rubber piece to finish the connection.

I do use clear mono for my 3' drops with long-line clips.

Tuleman likes this.
  5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Another vote for heavy duty tarred line. I think I use at a min. #42, most of what I have is #48, but will go as high as #120. The thin stuff tangles too easy and also cuts through gloves.

I've had good luck with rubber stretchies bought off ebay. If you want them to last it is critical that you not store them over the summer in the stretched position.

Amazon and Memphis Net&Twine are good sources for line

6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Kenny, I've had issues in the past with pvc line and bungees. Most of my problems were solved with the use of Tanglefree pvc (green) line and Ace bungees. I have switched out some line to the Rig Em Right 1/8" decoy line. It is soft and doesn't float. I think the Ace bungees have more silicone in them than other brands. @Montauker is spot on about storing decoys in the stretched position...big no no.
    I've toyed with the idea of ordering silicone rubber tubing and making my own but haven't, it seems the tubing is a bit on the pricey side.

7. fireduck

I will look into the Tangle free line. I will wait until after the blind draw before I buy anything. The depth of the water for us could be from 6ft to 20ft. Where can you find Ace Bungees? I will unhook my decoys at the end of the season- that sounds good. Kenny

8. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I'm like you on this. I can't stand PVC line. I've thrown away all I had. But, most of my decoy lines are 12' or so, since I often hunt tidal mudflat areas. I use H weights, and the line goes around these quickly. Tarred line is what I use as well.

Rubberhead likes this.
  9. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I understand the need to wait 'til after the draw. I've found the Ace bungees in Bass Pro or you can order direct from Ace.

10. fireduck

Thanks Gunner- I did find the ace straps. About 11:30 Saturday morning I will know what I need! Kenny