Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Starting over

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Old Carver, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Old Carver

Old Carver Refuge Member

I mentioned on a couple of my posts that we had a barn fire in September. The bird aviary attached to the barn had a heatlamp. Oops when they get knocked down they start fires. Anyhoo. I lost all my ducks and geese. That's what upset me. The rest is stuff.
    My truck was next to the barn and burnt too. I had got back from hunting that afternoon and my H12 was in back, my waders,vest, jacket, shells etc were still in the cab. Couldn't put the fire in the truck out cause all the shells cooking off.
    The homeowners insurance just came through. I'm working up a big order thru Rogers (free delivery). Lots of various decoys, waders, etc. My calls I'd had for 30+ years. Some of my dekes longer. Strange to sit down and make a list of all the little duck hunting gear you accumulate over a lifetime. Some things I'll replace others not.
    Do yourself a favor and take an inventory and keep it in your safe (guns,ammo, dekes, fishing poles, tackle etc.) trying to sit around trying to figure it out later wil hurt. Little things like your grandpa s old duck call are things that hit home when your sifting through things.

On the positive side... It's gonna be a duck hunters Christmas when those packages start arriving. Putting new line and weights on dozens of dekes and stuff like that woo hoo. Going down to Anchorage in a cpl weeks to get a new jon boat. Should be a fun winter project. Ztarting over can be frustrating or fun depending on how you look at it. 20180914_070236.jpg 20180914_034523.jpg

2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Man that sucks, sorry to hear. Sounds like you have a positive attitude good for you! Fire really scares me.

3. Old Carver

Old Carver Refuge Member

Could do the crying and nashing of teeth. Naw why waste the time. I ordered avianx mallards 2 dz, pintails 6, wiveon 6, GW teal 6, 12 canada floaters, 6 loafer shells, 12 sleeper shells. Waders, camo life vests, camo netting for the new boat. My tough one is calls. I think I'll have try quite a few at the Anchorage Cabelas and Bass pro when I'm down there. That will be the most challenging. Wow there's alot of calls. Some are damned expensive. Haven't had to buy one in 20 yrs.

4. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

If that happened to me, I'd just sit down and bawl.
    45 years of "stuff" can become overwhelming trying to replace. At this point in time, I don't know that I would make the effort.

5. Old Carver

Old Carver Refuge Member

I had to decide. I have xxx. Amount of dollars to replace stuff. What do I use most and what works best. Prioritization. Duck battlefield triage. Haa haa.
    In many hunters cases. What is your "go to" dozen items? Dekes, waders, gun?

6. cajunwannabe

cajunwannabe Senior Refuge Member

Man, that'd be rough but there are definitely worse things and others worse off!

I would reach out to the manufacturers like Avery, G & H, etc. I'd be willing to bet that they'd cut you a "pro staff" type of deal to help you replace your gear. It's at least worth a try and you might be able to buy decoys and gear at a huge discount.

7. Old Carver

Old Carver Refuge Member

Nice idea. I'll talk to the folks at Rogers a bit too.
    Lots of things to do but I have all winter to get everything rebuilt. Going from the H12 kayak back to a jon boat/blind. I'll post pics this spring as I finish it up. For now. It's supposed to be -10 tonight. Not going out to the shop for a while. I'm oing back to plastic decoys too. It would take my too long to carve up a hundred blocks I would want to hunt with. Sad to say I'm getting a bit old for that. Will buy 50-75 good decoys and a bunch of geese and call it good. I think finding calls I like will be the challenge. Mine were from the 60's and 70's with a cpl alot older. At least I know what I like and know what I'm looking for. Thanks for the idea's.