Starting to get lots of telemarketing and BS calls on my cell phone.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Dec 4, 2017.

  1. Lip Shooter

    Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    3,506
    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2014
    Location:
    Bottom of the Slough
    Why does this happen and how to stop it.

    My boss claims one of our former employees has submitted his number to some list that basically ruined his number and he needs to change it and start over.
     
  2. pintail2222

    pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    18,835
    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2002
    Location:
    Collier Co. Florida
    Don't answer! If you do not recognize the number do not answer your phone. Even if it is in your area code. If you answer and hang up they know that they have a live line. And they'll just keep calling from other numbers or they will sell your phone number to other telemarketers as a live line and they'll start to call you.
     
    OneShotBandit and Wareagle1 like this.
  3. stevena198301

    stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

    Messages:
    9,916
    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Location:
    HSV, Alabama
    Resistance is futile. Answer them and press 2 enough times, and you can get it down to a time or two a day, after about a week.
     
    pintail2222 likes this.
  4. stevena198301

    stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

    Messages:
    9,916
    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Location:
    HSV, Alabama
    Aww dang it Pin! I set my phone down to eat while typing the above, and you went and did that!
     
    pintail2222 likes this.
  5. Lip Shooter

    Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    3,506
    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2014
    Location:
    Bottom of the Slough
    I was hoping you would pipe in. When you said that person better hope they called from a burner phone what did you mean? How do you set them up?
     
  6. stevena198301

    stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

    Messages:
    9,916
    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Location:
    HSV, Alabama
    Ah...
     
    pintail2222 likes this.
  7. buck_master_2001

    buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    8,569
    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2000
    Location:
    Southern Mitten
    Don’t answer it and then block it. Simple as that.
     
    DrakeStar, API and tcc like this.
  8. H20DAD

    H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    1,552
    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2015
    Somebody gonna get lipshooter to the doc to get him back on the meds?
     
  9. AvianQuest

    AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

    Messages:
    24,310
    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2000
    Location:
    Cypress, Texas, USA
    It's bloody awful around here. No use trying to block the number as they will just keep using other bogus numbers. But more than likely the number they are calling from is fake.

    The most frequent calls I get are...

    Fake IRS calls threatening to come lock me up if I don't send cash to some address. (People are falling for this one and losing millions)

    After market Vehicle warranties.

    Credit card balance consolidation.

    Law enforcement fund raiser calls (I donate direct to various law enforcement organizations, but these are from boiler rooms that keep 99% and pay the unions the other 1%)

    Calls like "Someone at your residence inquired about (whatever)".
     
    Bear likes this.
  10. buck_master_2001

    buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    8,569
    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2000
    Location:
    Southern Mitten
    Don’t answer a number you didn’t not know. If it’s important they will leave a voicemail. Keep blocking them. It’s really that simple.
     
    API, tcc and GUNNERX2 like this.

Share This Page