Starting to get lots of telemarketing and BS calls on my cell phone.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Yeah... Except the voicemail gets full in a minute...

I thought the "Do Not Call List" was supposed to stop this sort of thing, but it has not helped at all....

Next time I pick up the phone to one of these "marketing agents" I am simply going to ask them if I mind if I tell them a little about Jesus... That seems to get people off the phone... "Yeah, I have a minute, let me tell you a little about our friend Jesus Christ..."

Allan likes this.
  2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Just delete the voicemail. This works for me.

3. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

159617C1-2D13-4849-A8D9-CF96C20FA076.png

My response to a phone number that has called a lot in the last few months.

4. grande long

grande long Refuge Member

if trump wants to do something usefull stop that b.s. as a small business man i have to answer its getting old 10 to 15 calls a week.

cast&blast likes this.
  5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I am also a small businessman. I get more like 10 to 15 calls a day.

It is 930 in the morning right now and I have had four calls so far.

I do not understand what the "do not call list" actually accomplishes? Apparently it sends my number to everybody who has any thought of trying to sell something to anyone?

6. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Sorry Clinton did it with her server!

7. cormier1

cormier1 Senior Refuge Member

I answered a few times While intoxicated haha. Wasted their time for 45min or so, till they told me to F off or to die in hell! They all stopped calling after a couple times. It was kind of like the old days as a kid doing prank calls. It was fun messing around with them while having a few beers.

GUNNERX2 likes this.
  8. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Use App "should i answer".
    Community based, if the number has a negative reviews it will be blocked.
    You can rate the incoming numbers yourself and it will be blocked.
    I use it for a year already.

9. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

It's called "spoofing". It shows a different number than the actual call. IPhone has a "Do not Disturb" that you can enter to get calls only from your contact list or even just designated favorites feature but these spoofes callers can bypass the block.

One left a message the other day and she really did sound official saying she was coming to my house to serve me civil papers. Even addressed me by my name. Left an 866 number to call. I didn't call it. Turns out it's scam. We can make this go away if you just pay a penalty.

http://www.scam-detector.com/telephone-scams/civil-complaint-against-you

Your phone rings. You pick up and hear a recording that states a fax was received with a civil complaint against you (or your daughter, son, brother, etc). The message adds that they will send the documents to appear in court. In a different variation of the scam, a "private investigator" might call you saying there is a complaint against your phone number or that you are listed as an emergency contact for a person who is in trouble. Does it sound familiar?

Trump is apparently going to work on stopping the robo-calls but I blame the phone companies for letting it happen. They could segregate out a number that does mass callings. Apparently local area codes calls come from Eastern Europe and Asia Minor.

As mentioned...don't answer. That and don't like and share those memes from social media websites. Some of those cute puppy pictures have tracking software that identify not only you but all of your contact list.

Finally...I've received a call from my own number. If I answered it my contacts list would have been downloaded.

Maybe Trump can stop them. I doubt it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  10. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

Who is your provider? AT&T already does this. They use AI to detect it however, like other tech stuff it is an arms race with the bad guys.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/at-t-s-house-system-blocks-1-billionth-robocall

There was an FCC robo call strike force put in place under the last administration and it has continued under the new administration to address the issue.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fcc-chairman-ajit-pai-stopping-robocalls-exceptionally-complicated/

Bear likes this.