starting to look for a new hunting dog/companion

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

I have good success with training 3 labs as what i've heard reffered to on here as meat dogs.
    My last black lab female who was the runt of her litter was strong smart and a really good hunter.She was an owner at birth dog and maybe I got lucky. She was whistle and hand signal trained and that was fine for me. I'm now looking for a new dog and live in eastern Canada and would not be opposed to go to New England to get a new Pup. Would anyone know anyone in NewEngland (preferably)Maine that sells good quality pups from healthy dogs with certified(if that's the proper term.) hips and elbows .I though I would ask the question and I would like a black female. My last best friend passed aprox. 18 months ago and now I'm ready for another partner. I'm 54 and still like duck and goose hunting and it's not the same without a dog even though we use a boat.Thanks Terry

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

I don't know of anybody. but in addition to hips and elbows, you need
    certification for CNM, EIC and PrA.

3. labber1

labber1 Senior Refuge Member

Dakota Creek Retrievers has a repeat breeding planned for this winter. Sue & Chris are top shelf. Check their website.

4. Rob Gag

Rob Gag New Member

Maranatha Kennels in Buxton Maine

5. ChrisF

ChrisF Senior Refuge Member

Mill Pond Retrievers in Maine has some upcoming litters with fantastic pedigrees. If you’re up for flying in a pup you could check out retriever training centrals classified section or entry express. Both have litters posted often that possess a lot of potential.

6. Easterncanadafowler

Ive been looking at some of the sites and the one in maine is not too far away.Im still trying to get may head around all the different acronyms.I'm probably going to regret saying this here but I would just like a well behaved intelligent dog that I can train to bring back ducks and geese(mostly blind retrieves since the dog is almost always in the blind with us) and a good family member.I understand good breeding is essential but I don't know if I need one from a male and female with so many accomplishment for what I'm going to be doing.No field trials, no hunt test etc..More like sit, come back and left and right hand signals tied in with whistle commands

7. labber1

labber1 Senior Refuge Member

A well bred pup from parents with titles, ensures trainability, and likely, less risk of health issues. You can find these for very good prices. Often they are less expensive than show bred dogs. It is a good idea to talk to hunters who have pups from the kennel you are considering. Field trial and hunt test titled parents help to put the odds in your favor.

8. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

EIC, CNM and PRA are genetic tests, and not accomplishments.

9. Easterncanadafowler

I actually went back to your earlier post, looked at the acronyms you posted for those diseases and did a little homework.Thanks.

10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Lots of birds have been retrieved by dogs with no acronyms. Then, you train the dog to learn what you want her to do, not what the puppy's parent has a title for.

duckbuster5901 likes this.