starting to look for a new hunting dog/companion

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

I agree.I will get one as healthy as I can and make sure that the parnts have been checked a documented.It appears that around here there are not many pups for sale due to it being winter and christmas.Ive contacted a few breeders and will most likely put my name o a list for a pup.

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

So, you're saying that genetic health tests aren't important ? :doh

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Not to some people. Had 5 labs in my life. Never had a problem.

gadwall52 likes this.
  4. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I would rather be smart than lucky.

Silver Wings likes this.
  5. labber1

labber1 Senior Refuge Member

But, if you decide you want to train to that level, it's nice to know that you might not have to get another dog, to do that. Smart well bred dogs make for easier training.

6. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

The health tests I can understand people paying a little more for a puppy has that on their resume. The parent's or some long distance relationship that past some hunt test in record time wouldn't persuade me to pay more.

7. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

The logic (posted in this thread) about titles being unimportant is contrary to the concept of selective breeding.
    I would not give even a glance at buying a Lab without a pedigree loaded with titled retrievers. In addition, one
    can quickly review (verify) their testing/competition performances on Entry Express and health "certs", pedigree
    and progeny information on Hunting Pedigree or go directly to the health test site records.

Believing what the breeder says and what his non-titled breeding stock offers is just more of a gamble. Even when
    using either approach a pup will require an owner with some training skills. I personally believe that not buying a
    pup with titled parents is too much of a challenge to accept because many feel they don't need a title to prove
    anything......and they don't.......unless they decide to have pups.

my most recent retriever's pedigree:
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=92099

She was $1250 and female pick of the litter. With early genetic pup testing I was able to buy a female that was
    not a carrier. The breeder was (is) high profile, honest and is a Master Hunt Test judge. Her parents were proven
    retrievers (titled). If I had bought a "cheapie" for $600 that would have saved me about 20 cents per day
    (over a ten year period).

Then again you can always use the Dirty Harry approach....."Do you feel lucky?" :h

[​IMG]

She will be ready to run Master tests next summer just for something to do until
    the hunting season.

Testing is important.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc E likes this.
  8. Easterncanadafowler

Beautiful lab and the look I like..

9. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I bought my first lab less than 2 years ago. I bought a dog without health clearances. I have a really nice little pup but at the time I didn't know what I didn't know. Had a recent scare with some limping but X-rays came out ok. It was pretty scary to think that all of our training could go to waste because of an issue that might have been avoidable with some testing and health clearances.

I was most scared for the dog because she has a very, very high drive to retrieve. Next time I'll buy a dog with health clearances.

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  10. Easterncanadafowler

Im on the waiting list from a breeder in NS who has a good rep and his dogs are hunting and FT dogs so .The wait is on...lol