starting to look for a new hunting dog/companion

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Dec 9, 2017.

1. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

The health tests are necessary to have a healthy dog you can hunt with. They are not titles. There are lots of deceptive people selling dogs that shouldn't be, just to make a buck, without health certs. Be smart and verify them on OFA. Otherwise a cheap dog might end up being a money pit.

2. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

Do you mean verify the male and female being bred.If so how does one do that ?

3. FieldLabLover

Ask if they have OFA hips and elbows, Eyes, EIC and CNM and verify the results by copy or on OFA.org.

4. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

In addition to what FLL said above, I like to see PrA as well.

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

My last dog was bought from a business contact for $50. Pure backyard breeding. I got lucky and although Hoss was a big boy, he lived to the age of 13 without health issues.

I am about to get a pup and this time I won't be so naive. I will be getting a pup from a breeder whose pups have all the health clearances that Doc E and others on this thread have discussed. I will be putting a lot of training into this dog and I dont want to have to put a well trained retriever and family member down prematurely because of a genetically-caused health issue.

I am also looking for hunt titles in the bloodlines. I am not saying you can't find a birdy dog that doesn't some from FC bloodlines or whose parents aren't junior, senior or master hunters, but if you can add to your chances of success, why not?

I am not sure what the OP's budget for this pup is but there are a lot of healthy dogs from field lines out there in the $1,000 to $1,250 price range.

6. Easterncanadafowler

OFA.org for Canadian dogs as well.

7. Easterncanadafowler

I was able to find using ofa.org the results the male and female the male has had the hips and elbows done but that is all I could fine .The female has had hips elbows and eyes. Would I find eic, cnm and pra tests there as well and would they be found using the dogs registration number.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  8. FieldLabLover

Many people don't pay to have those results put on OFA. Just ask if they have done them and ask for copies if they have. I would insist on EIC and CNM and knowing if the breeding had a clear parent or don't buy. You can look and see if the parents had any of the tests done on OFA. If not, that means they are a decade behind in breeding knowledge and I would pass.

9. Easterncanadafowler

10. Easterncanadafowler

This is what I found on the breeders website for the Female and I've only heard good things about this breader.I will ask for copies of the certificates .

OFA Hips: LR-226115E24F-VPI

OFA Elbows: LR-EL77431F24-VPI

OFA Eyes: LR-EYE9658/11F-VPI

EIC: Clear

CNM: Clear

CERF: LR-EYE9658/11F-VPI

FLL I would like to send you a pm but could not for some reason .Try sending me one and I will respond .Thanks