Startling New Research SILENT KILLERS

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Sacalait54, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Sacalait54

Sacalait54 Senior Refuge Member

As I’ve said before, I try and research subjects before stating my opinions. I happen to find information on ag crops that migrating ducks feed on, and their nutritional values. I had read somewhere that soybeans were a detriment to ducks. In my search to find where I had seen this brought me to this article:

One paragraph:

For those that don’t know the danger in soybeans to wild ducks.

“Soybeans are also harvested later than small grains, and they pose another, more significant problem. Unlike young, growing soybean plants, raw soybeans actually contain a metabolic inhibitor that prevents waterfowl from digesting them properly. Basically, waterfowl can eat as many raw soybeans as they want, but they never get fatter, and storing up fat for the long migration ahead is important. Sometimes birds that continue to eat soybeans wind up dying from causes related to near-starvation, but sometimes they also die from impaction of the beans in their crops and digestive tracts. That’s not a good plan if you’re fueling a migration, and the birds know it.”

I further investigated the subject and found out what they contained and why soybeans are detrimental to ducks. They are called “trypsin inhibitors”. They are contained in legumes; with soybeans being at the top of the list. These inhibitors are nature’s way of protecting the seeds from predators. These inhibitors pose a serious danger to animals that eat them. They interrupt the animals’ ability to digest them. They also cause the animals pancreas to enlarge. It can even result in death.

Everybody likes to preach that we should listen to “biologists “. Tell me why haven’t we ever heard of this from these biologists on this subject. They are the ones that are supposed to be smarter than us lay people. There are millions of acres of soybeans in the U.S., all of which pose a danger to wildlife. They are even some UNHARVESTED soybeans flooded for ducks. It is very possible that we are unintentionally making these birds sick, unhealthy and even causing the death of untold numbers.

This is mind blowing and needs to be researched further. Why wasn’t it ever brought to the forefront before?! I’ve seen reports of ducks being harvested in peanut fields. Guess what; peanuts are in the legume family. Different legumes have differing amounts of trypsin inhibitors. And get this, if these seeds end up getting moisture they are even more dangerous.

I am currently investigating which other crops have trypsin inhibitors. Preliminary research I have done indicate corn and rice have it to varying degrees; although not even close to soybeans.

These findings may cause the practice of unnaturally flooding unharvested crops to be discontinued!

2. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

How long have soybeans been around??? Say baw, you need to calm it on down.

3. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

Very few, if any are intentionally flooding unharvested beans for the sole purpose of duck hunting. Any management book will tell you that beans rot far too fast in water to create a sustainable food source for the entirety of duck season.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  4. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Elite Refuge Member

Approx 60 65 yrs i think remember granddad talking about started planting them in mid to late 50's

5. Neckbone

Neckbone Refuge Member

what we need is more research on how devastating crawfish ponds are to ducks

if you saw that one duck die from eating a crawfish imagine how many countless others there are out there

crawfish ponds are killing ducks

ban them

Birdcrazy likes this.
  6. Sacalait54

Unlike many of you, I can post links to every subject I post. Actual studies.

It could be that one duck had eyes bigger than its head; kinda like a few on here.

7. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

please post the studies ALL OF THEM

CNBarron likes this.
  8. Sacalait54

i can tell you where you can access this particular study, but it’s against the study’s author’s copyright to reprint or copy it’s work.

9. Sacalait54

Before any neigh sayers jump to conclusions; I am aware that soybeans are a major ingredient in livestock feed,but the soybeans ground up for feed is held at a high enough temperature for a certain period of time to deactivate the trypsin inhibitors.

10. Sacalait54