State Farm boat insurance warning

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by freefall, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Bad repair?? The repair weld did not crack, the hull cracked near the weld. A cracked hull from normal pounding may not be covered by any insurance. Get it welded again.

freefall likes this.
  2. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

That's my point, the repair stayed in tact. Unfortunately the position of the damage is the issue. It's in a spot that wont stay repaired because the structure was damaged by the impact. AGAIN, this was a result of IMPACT, I slammed into something under power. This is NOT from waves or ware. The hull was 5 years old when it happened and had never leaked a drop prior to the impact.

3. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

an agent telling you your options and giving you advice is not the same as telling you what your plan calls for..... you always have the option of NOT going through your insurance for any accident car or boat or otherwise.... and because of high deductables many people choose to not have their rates go up to pay $300 on an $800 claim with $500 deductible.... that's why its important to get a hold of the true estimate of repairs....its a catch 22 sometimes . the shop that fixed my car wanted 30% of the estimated repair if you did not get the car fixed by them.....which makes sense, because they actually spend time looking the car over carefully and going back to the desk and working up a claim cost....no one wants to do that for free!

4. Woody

Woody Elite Refuge Member

Not to be a jerk, but everyone knows Tracker makes the worst boats out there as far as quality. Everyone knows somebody that's had a tracker split on them whether it's been in an accident or not. Get a new boat and be done with it.

brentbullets, freefall and smashdn like this.
  5. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

I was waiting for the Tracker issue to get brought up.

6. dg

dg Senior Refuge Member

Drive it into another submerged stump and file another claim?:nutz

Zane and stevena198301 like this.
  7. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

OP, what if you did not have insurance and took your boat for this repair, they welded it and this hapened. Who's fault would it be?

Had the repair facility been competent in the repair of Tracker boats, they would not have repaited it by a simple weld.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. LA4024

LA4024 Refuge Member

So you had a $500 deductible but your initial repair cost was only $300. There would never have been an insurance claim anyway because of that so what your agent told you was correct. Fix it out of pocket. Now a year later, your boat hull cracks because of flexing in normal usage and you want the insurance company to pay for it. I don't get your logic behind normal wear and tear being covered by insurance.

9. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

well I understand the notion to go through insurance sometimes...because most insurances will stand behind the work of the shops they send you to.... so if the shop does a terrible repair and it fails in the future. the insurance company will fix it again....but usually that's for repairs that are paid and that they send you to the shop...... not when you pick your own shop.....the insurance company must know the quality of the boat, as they are in the business of dealing with thousands of repairs...and they probably adjust their rates based on that track record.......so if it is a cheap boat..... they know it.

10. Buckmark311

Buckmark311 Senior Refuge Member

BOOM! guy is wrecking his rig and wants to place blame on other people.