State records

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by spring man, Jul 10, 2016.

1. spring man

spring man Senior Refuge Member

I caught a blue cat Friday night that possibly crushed the state record for Iowa and Nebraska. I didn't want to kill it so we took pics and measurements and released her. We had no tape measure or scale in the boat, so we spooled out some mono and cut it for length and girth. The length was 56" and girth was 39 3/4". Put those measurements into the equation for estimating weight and it came out to 112 lbs. These are supposed to be good for plus/minus 3 lbs. I feel better about releasing her instead of killing her to get my name in a book

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

???

API likes this.
  3. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Congrats....lets see those pictures.

:tu for letting it go

4. spring man

Only have them on my phone, is there any way to post them off of a phone?

5. spring man

6. spring man

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Jeez-O-Golly-Wompers. THAT is a MONSTER!!!! [​IMG]

8. musher

WOW!!! There are catch and release records. Look into those for the recognition the fish and you deserve. any secrets to the catch? Type of bait etc.

9. spring man

Cut Asian carp on the Missouri River by council bluffs. Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna look into that! We marked a few fish on the finder and anchored above them, caught a 3 lb channel in about 5 min of fishing, tossed it back out, same piece of bait and all. 15 min later she hit. Caught it on a Jim Jameson rod and I have no idea what the reel was. Pulled anchor and chased it about 600 yards down river before I got her up besides the boat. Took 3 tries at least to get 2 hands in its mouth and roll it into the boat

10. musher

Cool any time you have to pull anchor and chase a fish its going to be a story. I know MN has a catch and release record book. Just need picture and measurements. Hopefully Iowa does... if not it's time to get one.

I always want to fish for cats but never get to. None close to me but I can't complain as I live on one of the best walleye and northern pike lakes in the country, Lake of the Woods. Good cat fishing is 100 miles to the west on the Red River so no real excuse for not going. I follow Team Catfish on YouTube for fun.

Again good catch and good release.