Status reports on duck parks

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Mallet67, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Mallet67

Mallet67 Senior Refuge Member

Usually MDC puts up a report on the wetland areas as far as food water, construction if any an general info for the upcoming season. I have seen nothing for this year. In about a week you should start being able to put in for reservations. I wonder how many people even know that Schell Osage is closed this year to hunting due to them redoing the area. The dept is behind the 8 ball this year on posting situations at the areas. Just wonder if any one has heard anything

2. DuckMan62

DuckMan62 Refuge Member

Nothing yet. Hoping they get out some kind of report at least.

3. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Anyone heard a progress report on Shell. I’m hoping they got a good start since it was such a good year for dirt work. It’s going to be interesting to see what the ducks do this year in the area around Shell.

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

You have to pretty much hunt down what you want to find out about on MDC's website it's so messed up anymore, they have an update on Schell from May of this year, then at the bottom they say they will give out E mail updates if you want them. Best I can tell you, here's the link
    https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/places/schell-osage-ca/schell-osage-updates

5. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

I read their plans for schell. So they don't like refuges that only act as loafing areas and want to "improve" it to add forage, i.e. more flooded corn refuges to stockpile the birds in the state.

What's the problem with the former? Forcing birds to leave to find food and hunters to chase and hunt them?

As a lifelong resident I know my complaint is futile, and so this practice will continue.

10GAGENUT and Pastor like this.
  6. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

Seems funny how they plant food for deer and let you hunt the food plots but for ducks they plant all the food in the places you can't hunt. Why would the ducks ever leave the refuge without hunting pressure or lack of food. Our state likes reporting how many ducks are here but seem to do whatever they can to keep us from harvesting them.

DEADEYE and 10GAGENUT like this.
  7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I read that myself and the part in the beginning that stated Schell is one of the oldest Waterfowl CA's, kind of makes one wonder if what your stating about forcing birds off the refuge to find food was the way things used to be done back in the day when people who actually hunted set up these places.
    Now it seems we have people in MDC who are more worried about the ducks/geese than they are hunters. Agree 100% I don't like the fact we are paying tax dollars and license fees to feed them while getting less and less opportunity to hunt them every year.

8. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

At least they weren't shooting a ton of ducks to begin with before they go and ruin it.

9. jeffc

jeffc Senior Refuge Member

I am surprised at the negative opinions about MDC's management of wetland conservation areas. I have hunted at Fountain Grove since 1965. In my view, it has never been better. They had a record harvest last year (by a large margin) and usually hunted at least thirty positions. Poor line participants had good chances at drawing in on most days. Someone suggested that corn is only planted in refuge areas. That is not so at FG. Corn is almost always planted in the Mac shooting pools, H & J pools on the west side, as well as Pool 2 walk in.

The ducks per day averages at Fountain Grove and Grand Pass are better than at most private clubs, mine included.

Also, according to the recent 2017-18 harvest report, Missouri ranked second in the nation, behind Arkansas, in mallard harvest numbers for the third year in a row. I'd say that indicates Missouri's waterfowl managers are doing something right.

Jeff Churan
    Chillicothe

wakenda, cride1 and sgt duck like this.
  10. Mallet67

Mallet67 Senior Refuge Member

Jeff
    I simply made the comment that the dept has not posted an update on the status of areas this year like they have in the past. It's almost sept and last years area status reports are still on the site. You think they could at least post that. I have nothing against the grove and I agree I've hunted there for the past almost 40 years myself and I think they do a good job up there. They always have. I remember when Troy LaRue managed the area and it was good then even. The staff is always helpful.

sgt duck likes this.