California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Status update on Tule Goose numbers

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by California Flyway, Feb 15, 2019.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Are there any updates on population trend of Tule Geese. Are numbers increasing in response to hunting restrictions? Are nesting and rearing conditions improving on the Cooks Inlet grounds? Any projections for increasing hunting of Specks in the closed zone?

2. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

Nothing new that I know of...but it is probably out there.

Maybe try contacting Melanie Weaver at DFW:

Melanie.Weaver@wildlife.ca.gov

Let us know what you find out

some 'dated' but good info:
    file:///C:/Users/Schussel%20Family/Downloads/TuleGooseStatusforDFG.pdf

3. BHG

BHG Refuge Member

The closure wasn’t even meant for Tule Geese when it was originally introduced. It was for the Aleutian goose and they just transferred it over to the Tule population once the aleutians were no longer in danger. It does absolutely nothing. Tules cross I5 just like the rest to feed. And I’ve shot more in areas not closed to Tules then ones that are. The closure is just used as an “example” of how “hard” our fish and game is trying to “help”. They have to act like there doing something.

4. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

Cough. Closure expanding. Cough.

5. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

The first rule of the closure-don’t talk about the closure.

Cocklebur likes this.
  6. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

In before the " shut up dont talk about the closure" posts.

Whoops.... too late.

Im gonna talk about it anyways

I do also find it odd that the Tule Goose Protection area conveniently falls in the exact same area small canadas were closed in for years. I get it, its convenient from a licensing and enforcement objective but were all lying to ourselves if we think tules wintering area lies entirely within the boundary. I also wonder myself to what degree of interbreeding there may be now with the massive expansion in pop of both pacific and mid continent whitefronts.

Mort, KID CREOLE and Cocklebur like this.
  7. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

Its all a bunch of liberal crap in order to restrict hunting opportunity and make it easier for the DFW. If a goose wants to fly from the sac/del/colusa closed zone a couple hundred yards west across the highway and get shot by a ricer it will.

The closure is useless.

Mort and Turnkey like this.
  8. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

I don't necessarily feel that its there to restrict hunting because they (CDFW) could rightfully say, elsewhere in the BOS zone speck limits are 10 which has no doubt completely liberalized speck hunting opportunity for those areas. I see it as more of a crutch, whereby the powers that be are able to say, "hey look, were addressing the tule goose concerns over here in this area (that was designed around dwindling Aleutian goose pops and their endangered listing in mid 70's early 80's), while at the same time allowing for liberalizing hunter opportunity outside of the lines to reflect the obvious population boom on pacific and mid cont. whitefronts.

Trouble is there are a ton of question marks here (tules are very hard to track on their nesting grounds from what I gather) whereas pacific whitefronts on YK delta much easier and out in the open. Most point to not enough data. Data costs a ton of money to compile no doubt but I do see these new banding and collaring initiatives as at least some work in the positive direction for establishing if in fact the traditionally mapped out wintering areas are still accurate, what the actual pop number is and does our hunting even have an impact on them.

One thing we know for sure and we should look at the glass half full here is that the speck population is robust and we're in the midst of some of their highest numbers now. I believe the mid cont population is 700,000 to 1 million, pacifics 650k to 800k??? Not exactly sure but those are awesome numbers.

Tules, no one seems to know their true pop, at least I cant find any data on it. Anyone see anything recent?

9. Kurt Baer

Kurt Baer Senior Refuge Member

Hunters love to **** and moan. I've done my share on issues over the years but this isn't one of them.

The Tule population has been somewhere between 7-14K over the last 30-40 years or so. How high do you think it would need to go before they lift the closure? 50K? Greater probability it drops to 5K before it reaches 50K, and if it does they will close all white-front shooting in the Sac Valley.

The closure isn't meant to protect all Tule geese. It's to protect your opportunity to continue shooting Pacifics.

Trust me you don't want endangered species advocates looking too closely at Tule geese. Look at what Lost River sucker advocates have done to the Klamath Basin/Pacific Flyway in 17 years.

If it bothers you that much get a blind outside of the closure. I see pictures of guys who do very well outside of it. Join them.

IMO you have a better chance at getting 3 sprig a day then lifting the closure. :l:l:l

10. Dakillaofnada

Dakillaofnada Elite Refuge Member

yes the closure sucks... however if you guys remember the closure area was way larger .. it extended east of the river, south of gridley Colusa west of 99 all the way to obanion.. this was for all darks... and specks were only open a month at the most in the beginning of the season in this area with a 1 bird limit.. no Canadian geese I believe anywhere east of I 5 starting at 162.. all the way down to obanion as well... I could be wrong.. such a long time ago.. however I do remember a time when the biologist would monitor the Aleutians in the sink.. it used to be a major stopping point... when the biologist felt the Aleutians had moved through they would open up the Canadas... this was prior to the goose limit going to 3 .. this was when we were 3 whites 2 darks..probably somewhere around 83 and back..

Swampy and Dan Mallia like this.