Stay away from Avian X.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Jun 2, 2016.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I sold them. So I no longer have them. I understand accidents occur, shouldn't a company be willing to fix it? Don't you think them taking the route of blaming me for the damage instead is a little screwed up? That was the main part that upset me. I definitely should have taken a better picture. The pic doesn't show all of the other scratches on the back where it clearly fell and bounced around on something abrasive. Regardless, I still think her response of turning the blame around on me is pretty damn *******.

2. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Thank goodness, problem solved.

hyper23 likes this.
  3. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

Almost all companies will go to great lengths to keep a customer happy, eating a lot along the way. But there comes a point in time that they make the decision they are dealing with an individual they don't want as a customer. These individuals don't have the capacity to see themselves as that "customer". After nine pages of your thoughts, let me help you; you are one of those individuals!

What has always puzzled me regarding people with your mindset in the rugged environment of hunting; how do you adapt and maintain sanity in an equipment intensive sport that requires much labor and maintenance because anything and everything over time gets dirty, muddy, scuffed, scratched, bent, busted, and flat torn up!

Billy Bob likes this.
  4. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

Buck master don't let these guys harass u. Since Freddy sold out these dekes have taken a crap in quality

5. buck_master_2001

This is quite possibly one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on this forum.

6. Specktacular

Specktacular Senior Refuge Member

They're also the same guys driving up prices at Cabela's because they return things that they've used for 5 yrs expecting an exchange because all of a sudden they leak. Cabela's CS has always been second to none and more than fair but guys have taken advantage of them and now they're about to get bought out and they're not as profitable as they once were because of guys abusing the policy.

7. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

I have a ton of respect for Fred and what he has done for the industry. The guy has brought more innovation to waterfowling than anyone. I also think that Avian Xs look amazing, and I love the material that they are made out of.

That being said, I have purchased a lot of decoys from them that had factory defects-- a WAY higher percentage than any other brand I've ever bought, and it's not even close. To me, that suggests that they may have a bit of a quality control issue. They're also not particularly responsive when it comes to inquiring about such things. I'm not done buying Avian X decoys, but they are certainly not the "end all be all" that I thought they were when I first saw/hunted over them.

8. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

Something tells me that people returning merchandise isn't the reason that they are not as profitable as they could be. Huge stores that are packed with things that aren't usable and out of things that are staples for hunting/fishing in their respective areas isn't helping. One example I'll give is electronic decoys. They're illegal in Washington, yet at any given time, I can walk into Cabelas and have my pick of three or four spinners, shaker butts, etc. At the same time, it's incredible how often they're out of something basic like Tanglefree, #2 Fasteel, etc. I really think there's a lot more to their diminishing profits than more people returning things than have in the past.

hyper23 likes this.
  9. buck_master_2001

I highly doubt people trying to take advantage of their warranty are to blame either. Hell, most people I know don't even know how good or anything about their return policy. I think it comes down to they have gotten to big for their britches. They are never very competitive on pricing either. I only buy stuff from them when they run sales.

10. Specktacular

Specktacular Senior Refuge Member

I don't want to get this thread off topic but Cabela's was very competitive in pricing until the last 5 yrs. They also never had a problem with their inventory model. The key to making sales is having a product available when a customer wants it. I think Cabela's is/was successful enough for years to know how much and what inventory to have on hand. Just because YOU didn't want it doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Granted, there are probably a number of reasons for Cabela's recent decline and the return policy abuse is probably only a part of that reason. It still doesn't justify abusing the system though, IMO.

brentbullets likes this.