Steady Duck Dog?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hunter Brown, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Hunter Brown

Hunter Brown New Member

What are some ways you guys get your dog steady once they are retrieveing and delivering to hand. She has it all down just likes to jump the gun. Any tips or tricks appreciated. TIA

2. bozeman

bozeman Elite Refuge Member

Something we have done (my first lab, so take this from someone who is learning as much as my pup) is have multiple dogs. If mine 'breaks' she gets skipped next go round and has to honor other dogs........also, using denials when 1 on 1. Look at Cornerstone Gundog Academy. I have joined and it is just helpful to watch and see how all the drills build together. Good luck and enjoy!

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

It all starts with basic OB. I am not a big Ecollar guys.........& I'm sure some of the pros will disagree, but I've trained 5 dogs with short leads, and pinch collars. The were/ are all steady. I hunt a lot of roll top pits which IMO is about the hardest situation to keep a dog steady.

tie them up if you have to, but use a quick release. Make them sit before sending. take time few hunts without shooting, and just focus on steadiness. it will pay off. a braking dog can be unsafe,...espcially when hunting from pit blinds

Honors, and denials are also good. Hunt tests are also good practice

Wildrose has some good youtubes for denials/stay/steady

4. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Serious question, and not promoting ecollars, but how do you get a dog to stop at 175 yards, sit and turn to look at you, and go left instead of right, when he doesn't want to or is flat just too excited?

5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I didn't say that I don't use collars, I Do. My dogs are collar conditioned, but I am more comfortable with old school conditioning to train steadiness . it is easy for dog, and trainer.

I wouldn't necessarily nick my dogs for casting left instead of right. I would whistle sit them, and recast..................... probably only nick if dog blew me off completely.

6. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I agree completely. There is a time and a distance where the collar is tough to beat for a little redirection. Had to question a short lead and pinch collar was all a guy needed.

7. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

First of all this is NOT about the e-collar. Sitting and taking the correct cast at any distance is a function of developing a conditioned response. Distance (which erodes control)
    plus the exposure to other factors (wind, cover, scent and excitement) require additional training. Reliable conditioned response are created with hundreds and hundreds of
    correct repetitions
    . In short, it takes a great deal of very precise training and practice to adequately deal with difficult blinds.....and then there is maintenance. :h

To repeat, this has nothing to do with the e-collar (making the dog do anything).

http://billhillmann.net/sitting-on-the-whistle/

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  8. Kendall Steffensen

Kendall Steffensen Senior Refuge Member

This is the correct answer regarding any aspect of dog training. There are several training programs that line out the step by step process of achieving steadiness, taking a cast, and all the other tasks a well trained retriever is capable of.

Please be well aware that an e-collar cannot teach any task, it can only reinforce a task that is already learned.

Kendall

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  9. Hunter Brown

Hunter Brown New Member

Thanks for the info. I have her on a short leash now and she is starting to get a little better. Slowly but surely. She is still young almost 4 months but she has amazed me with her progress. Hopefully take her on some training hunts after the split.

10. bozeman

bozeman Elite Refuge Member

4 months old? Please, slow down......still a pup........

J.SCOTT and Dorkweed like this.