Steady Duck Dog?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hunter Brown, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

OP; why would you take a young dog hunting that doesn't have the tools/skills to accomplish the tasks you'd like her to do both easily and effectively???

Many a dog has been "RUINED" by rushing them into the field/marsh before they were ready.

The old saying; "A good deal worse than no dog at all comes to mind here."

You've been given sound advice.................doesn't sound like you want to take heed of it....................

Yeah butt regards.

2. Kendall Steffensen

Kendall Steffensen Senior Refuge Member

Posted above is Mike Lardy's Total Retriever Flow Chart as available on his website. I was testing how to attach a file and the time limit expired. Therefore, it is not attached to this post.

Elementary cold land blinds is several steps into transition training. With all due respect, your pup is simply not old enough to have successfully progressed through each prior step.

Regarding your original question, skipping or not fully completing a step will leave holes in your dog's abilities. This appears to be the case as lead steady is listed as the second step in field basics.

Obviously, she is your pup and you will train her as you wish. But, from my perspective there is no need to reinvent a wheel that an extremely successful trainer has been rolling for years.

Kendall

Doc E likes this.
  3. bozeman

bozeman Elite Refuge Member

Hunter- I too was excited to get a lab pup and had visions of double blind grandeur for the first season, but the kennel breeder soon set my expectations to reality. My pup will be one year old at then end of Nov and I have a few hunts scheduled to take her on. Easy terrain and I will not shoot, only handle her in the field. Please don't push you pup too hard as it will only frustrate you and set him/her up for failure. Excellent advice here, take time to let it sink in.

Doc E, J.SCOTT and Hunter Brown like this.
  4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

The other thing is your pup is four months old, growing into her body. Ligaments and joints are not solid or tight. Make sure you are not working her too much that you do long term damage to the dog. Young dogs like that - periods of running are pretty low per recommendations. Enjoy the ride hope you enjoyed the 9-14 week puppy stage when Momma loves them until they start doing bad behaviors.

My pup was about 10 1/2 months and was solid on basic obedience and basic hunting program with trainer including force and she hunted the last two weeks of the season to give her a taste.

5. mikehmike

mikehmike Refuge Member

My 9month old chessie...we JUST started steadiness on retrieves. He went through OB/FF and now are working pil drills and I enforce steadiness. Still do fun bumpers at the end...at 4 months just let the puppy love retrieving and build the retrieve drive

6. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

And what are those training books ?

7. Doc E

8. Doc E

9. Hunter Brown

Hunter Brown New Member

Retriever Training and 10-minute retriever as a secondary as well as Waterdog

10. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

So you ARE NOT following A program then. You're jumping around here and there. Most of these programs are sequential; and require than you complete one phase of that program before moving to the next phase, otherwise the foundation/base of the program is gone.

If you really believe your dog is doing simple blind retrieves at almost 4 months, you're delusional.

Timber Hole and Doc E like this.