steak recipes

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by duckman, Jan 3, 2009.

1. CJS

CJS Senior Refuge Member

Steak Diane - google it and try it out if you're a steak lover. Im about to make it again tonight.

Also, if any of you go to NOLA, make a reservation at Emeril's Delmonicos and get a steak there. By a longshot the best i've ever had and really there is no comparison.

2. MOLabs

MOLabs Senior Refuge Member

Tried the cast iron skillet stove top/finish in oven method a couple of weeks ago.

Excellent results!!! Paired with a bottle of red wine (Marques de Caceres 2005) made for a great meal!!

The wife was really impressed.

Thanks for the tip!!!

3. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

Someone who got it right. Quality cut of meat and you don't need anything more than listed above.

4. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Thank you Wood-Dro. You know though, it's getting harder and harder to find that quality beef (and has been getting that way for the last twenty five years). Kroger used to have good quality USDA Choice beef, but I think they've slipped a bunch in the last two years. Food lion, Safeway...forget it, they stink. Giant Food is going the same way, even eliminating their better cuts of beef sections. Was in a Wegman's yesterday, looking at their whole tenderloins. I've tried their steaks/beef several times, with varying results for quality (defined for me as tenderness, flavor, and trim). Happened to see a meat worker and asked him what brand of beef they buy...his answer was "Excel":eek:. Now I know why I've had varying results from their steaks...all their meat is Excel. I prefer IBP for supermarket beef, but it's getting harder to find it out there on the shelves. Now retailers are pushing "grass fed beef"...bs.
    If the retail shopper wants high quality beef these days, they have to shop hard and pay a premium price for it! If I want high quality beef in my area, I shop for it at Balducci's (New York based company) and have to pay a ton for it.

5. Wood-Dro

Well, I was way spoiled growing up. My Grandfather was a butcher for 30 years and then was the V.P. of the Local Butcher's union after that. He started in the old San Francisco slaughter house's called the meat cutters district back in the 30's. We grew up having access to all the best cuts of beef, lamb, pork, cold cuts, etc. I don't remember a time when we didn't have sticks of salami in the fridge. I can barely stomach meat from the major grocery chains. I try to still shop at the specialty local butcher shops. It can cost $5-$7 more a pound for a quality cut of beef, but I would rather have a great cut once every two weeks than a poor cut three times in two weeks.

Gramps use to bring home USDA Prime - Prime Rib Roasts and we would have those during the holidays. The marbling in that meat was amazing. Incredible! He would also bring home cuts that you can't always find either. He loved the hanging tenderloin. Kind of a cross between a fillet and a skirt steak. Can't find them anywhere. I don't think they ever make it to the butcher shops.

6. Jimbob

Jimbob Elite Refuge Member

Hanging tenderloin is marketed as hanger steak now. See in the store occasionally. A restaurant near me always has it on the menu.

7. Wood-Dro

According to my Grandfather that's not the same thing. I found hanger's, but he said that was a different cut. Maybe he was a little loopy in his old age?

8. linhardt

linhardt Refuge Member

There is. After you kill your ducks, put them in the bottom of your fridge, whole, uncleaned, and breast up. Let sit for 12 - 15 days. Then breast them out, soak in buttermilk with some steak seasoning overnight, then just coat with olive oil, salt and pepper or steak seasoning, grill no more than medium rare, about 140 degrees. Then pull from grill and top with butter. Guarantee it will be damn close to regular steak.

9. Jimbob

Jimbob Elite Refuge Member

Here's the definition for hanger steak I got...

10. Wood-Dro

I've had hanger's. But I am not that crazy about them. Not like he made them out to be. He was 91 at the time, so who knows? :z